"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

I am blessed...

We've been through a lot over the years. There has been a career ending injury and the devastating financial blow that produced. There have been medical emergencies (you know how docs always say there is only a 5 to 10% chance of...we are that 5 to 10 %). There has been pregnancy loss after pregnancy loss. Despite all that, I truly believe I am blessed.

I am married to my soulmate, a man who would do anything to take care of me. He makes me laugh. He makes me feel safe.  He makes me feel loved.

I have 3 fabulous children. They are kind and smart and strong and funny. I can put our losses in the background because I simply can not imagine life without any one of them.

Despite the career ending injury and ensuing financial hardship, we have always had a roof over our heads and Vic has always had a job to go to.

I have friends who would do anything they can for me and my family, up to and including arriving on our doorstep when they could tell I needed them.

Dealing with infertility lead me to find the wonderful blogging community and that has enriched my life in more ways than I can even begin to mention. 

Sure, there are days I wish I had more and could do more for others.  Overall, though, I am truly blessed and want for very little.

This is the season of holidays. Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or Ramadan, this is a holy season and time to recognize our blessings.  Heck, even if you aren't religious, this is a season for family gatherings and celebrations. I hope all of you can take a moment to recognize your blessings and maybe share a few of the things that are special in your life.

7 comments:

Steggie said...

Life is full of blessings and it makes so much sense to count those rather than focus on what you are without. Besides, good things come to those who wait!

Kakunaa said...

Such beautiful sentiments. Sometimes it is hard to remember the good things, but there really is always something :) Happy Holidays.

battynurse said...

Great post. I know sometimes I have a hard time with seeing what my blessings are. It's good to stop and remind ones self of them.

Alana said...

SO important to reflect this time of year, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

And regarding prior post---too cute that kitty spends time in your Christmas tree! And HOLY CRAP I applaud you for being a roof climber... Our lights only go around our porch and areas I can reach on a 2-step step stool because I am way height phobic! :)

Lynn said...

Love this post! It is so difficult to look at your blessings when you're dealing with difficult things in your life, but each of us have blessings that enrich us. One of the reasons I strive so hard to make the people in my life feel good and know I love them is that I never want to be the reason a person is feeling sad about their life. I'd much rather be in the category they look at when counting their blessings. If I can do nothing more but provide someone with a smile when they're feeling down, then I know I've acheived part of what I hope to accomplish with my time on Earth. I hope your holidays are filled with amazing things, Kristen!

Mrs. Gamgee said...

It's so good to be reminded of our blessings, especially at this time of year when things can easily get out of control.

Blessed Advent to you my friend!

Quiet Dreams said...

Beautiful post, Kristin. We all need the reminder at times. Much love to you.