"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Friday, December 17, 2010

Crafty Christmas

I'm sorry I've been so scarce these last few days. My schedule finally caught up with me and it's taken all my energy to not crash and burn.

The snow/bad weather day we had yesterday was a blessing in disguise. Sadly, we didn't get enough snow to even go out and play in it. However, not having to drive places gave me time to get a little bit of holiday baking done and gave me a chance to get Joey and Gabe to help me make teacher presents. The holiday baking was necessary because I was ever so brilliant and signed up to bring in a special Christmas snack for Gabe's preschool class. We made the candy from the Wilton's Christmas Candy Mega Kit. So Gabe could help, I didn't paint the candy into the molds. We just squeezed it in and made them all tri-colored. After Gabe went to bed, I made sugar cookie bars and mint chocolate chip bars.
The teacher's presents turned out excellently. I bought a set of clear glass Christmas ornaments. We popped the tops off the ornaments, squeezed 3 colors of paint into each one, and rotated them around until the paint completely covered the inside of each ornament. When they were completely painted, we drained out all the extra paint. We put two ornaments into a Christmas mug for each teacher.



I also made some uber-cool paper ornaments but they are on their way to my ornament exchange partner so I'll show you them later.

Have y'all done any cool Christmas crafts or baking yet?

7 comments:

Kakunaa said...

My oven is busted and I just haven't been up to it :( very boring christmas...which sucks because I really am craving my favorite holiday cookies. Somehow I will fit it into next year's schedule.

ColourYourWorld said...

I love the ornament idea, very clever.
No nothing fancy happening here, I am struggling just writing Christmas cards and wrapping gifts.

Shelly- Mom Files said...

How cute! I have done some baking for the teacher (homemade mini poundcakes) and I will do a little more over the course of the next few days for neighbors and friends. Frugal gifts from the heart and the oven are the best! I really love how you did those ornaments. You always have such great ideas.

Frugality Mom said...

Baking day is tomorrow for me since M will be at Nana's for a few days. The sugar cookie bars look so good and I would love the recipe. The ornaments are very cool and you always come up with the neatest ideas.

Lifeslurper said...

I don't have a tree or anything remotely Christmassy - but I want to make me some of them there ornaments! Brilliant!!

LS x

battynurse said...

Oooh, I like the painted ornaments. I've done some similar with re-inkers and glitter that turned out pretty cool. I may have to try the paint soon though.

Lauren said...

Oh I love this idea for the ornaments!!