"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Random Shit and Nonsense

Pet Peeve...why, oh why would you assign your pupils a research product and not teach them HOW to research? Teaching them to research is MORE than saying "Go to Yahoo, the CIA Factbook, or Wikipedia and find the information." You need to teach them the importance of key phrases and actually reading the paragraphs...not just picking out the facts in bold print.

It bothers me greatly when I hear a highly educated, fairly eloquent person say aks instead of ASK. When said person is a university professor and she repeatedly says aks in the course of her "Welcome to our Science Program", it feels like finger nails being dragged across a blackboard.

According to Gabe, noodles are naked because they are nude.

A friend and I have discovered that despite wrapping boxes, labeling boxes, and placing boxes by the front door, those aforementioned boxes will not go to the post office and mail themselves.

I got three pairs of beautimous shoes from CSN Stores. They are simply gorgeous and I can't wait to review them for you.

All of the shoes fit perfectly but, I have to put off wearing two of the pairs. Evidently, I wrenched my ankle a bit when I fell on our icy hill. My ankle isn't bothering me when I wear flats or low heels (up to 2 inches) but my gorgeous loves with their 3+ inch heels cause my right ankle to call me semi-dirty names. Soon my lovelies, soon!

I am sadly behind on two things important to me...my annual book challenge and the Brass Balls award. I promise they will both be taken care of before the end of the week. If you are going to take part in the book challenge, start keeping track of your books. I've already read 7 books.

My *SBC Jennifer rescued me tonight. Vic had to work and Marty had to go to an orientation meeting for a science program he is participating in at NC State University. Dear Jennifer came over after a long day dealing with bank stuff and kept my younger two company. I am so lucky to have someone like Jennifer in my life.

Marty had a teenage moment earlier today. I almost had to kill him but then I didn't.

One of Marty's friends sent me a Facebook friend request. Normally, I wouldn't hesitate to accept but my blog posts cross post on Facebook and certain things I talk about would totally wig out but Marty's friend and the friend's mom.

A baby born recently to an ALI community member is in the ICU on a vent. Say some prayers for her (will let you know the identity as soon as I have permission).

Tell me something random going on in your life.

*SBC = sister by choice

9 comments:

areyoukiddingme said...

I got a super cool new computer at work today. I can't wait for it to get set up so I can start using it. I'm actually excited to do some work for a change!

battynurse said...

I think I'm at 6 books so far this year. I did also exceed my goal for last year!
One of my pet peeves? The people who get on the freeway going 35 mph and try to merge and then speed up.

AnotherDreamer said...

Love the randomness :)

I am ashamed to say that my reading has been slack- video games seem to have taken their place :/

I don't mention my own blog on FB, I mention other things in the ALI community and links to Resolve and articles- but I try my best not to let my blog slip up. It's one of my few secrets, if they knew about it I would have to censor it- and I don't want that, because then it wouldn't be as honest.

Something random- My birthday is on the 30th, and I'm honestly wondering more about my cake than my presents ;) I'm hoping it's something interesting.

Dora said...

Ooooh! "Aks" makes me nuts! As does the misuse of "lose" and loose." An example of correct usage is: "If I LOSE weight my pants will be LOOSE."

My current pet peeve is the poopy diaper literally MOMENTS BEFORE leaving for daycare. Come on, girl! Can't you wait 15 more minutes so your teacher can change you?

Hope you ankle feels better soon!

Kir said...

AKS..is the BANE of my existance..alongside "EXspecially"..drives me NUTS.
loved this post, maybe I will post the things that drive me nuts too...that's a good way to "CLEAR THE AIR" ;)

Shelly- Mom Files said...

I woke up with a stiff neck today but it was oh so worth it ;)

My dentist kept telling me the other day how young I was until she looked at my chart. She said, "you're young but you ain't all that young!" hahaha!

My 17th wedding anniversary is this month and I am excited!

I am about to go take a nap now :)

Kakunaa said...

Sorry for not commenting lately...it's been kinda crazy. And it sounds like it for you, as well! Enjoy the good and the bad and take care of that ankle!

Mrs. Gamgee said...

I was wondering about the book challenge. I'm only at 3 so far, but I'm hoping for more.

Totally random? How about the fact that i just tried quinoa for the first time this weekend and I loved it so much that I'm having it again for lunch today.

Alana said...

Cool post, and I'm loving the "nude noodles," too funny!

I sucked at monitoring my books last year. I am at 11 so far this year. I have a bedside notebook which I WILL monitor this year and update on my blog one of these days. :)

Random: I tried coconut M&M's for the first time today...pretty tasty! :)