"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Confessions of a Not So Secret Geek

I do a good imitation of not being a total geek. I have tattoos, multiple ear piercings, dye my hair purple, and write posts about EdenFantasys. But, beneath that facade beats the heart of a dyed in the wool geek. My geekdom goes back many, many years. I was the curve buster in middle school and finished high school with a semester's worth of college credits. These days, I revel in my geekdom.  I do crossword puzzles in ink. I like algebra (how the hell did that happen). I love games that challenge my brain a bit. But, my geekdom came slamming home in grand style the other day. I saw a commercial that had me twitterpated (please tell me you remember where twitterpated came from). If I was a Southern belle, I would have been swooning with excitement. Ya wanna know what had me so excited? It was a commercial for the IBM and Jeopardy Challenge. IBM has built Watson, a super computer that can answer questions the way a person does and, on February 14th, 15th, and 16th, Watson will challenge Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter. My heart beat just a little bit faster when I discovered an entire web site dedicated to the development of this unbelievable computer system. I think I might be in love.

It's a really good thing my husband's a geek too. Otherwise, I might have trouble explaining why I want to stay home on Valentine's Day and watch Jeopardy.

I'd like to I'm off to try and salvage my reputation but a bit of American Idol and some crocheting isn't likely to do that.


Delenn said...

My husband are geeking about it too! :-)

It won in a trial run.

Kakunaa said...

I'm like you. Alternative geek :) Same type of high school performance. LOL.

And I'm sad we don't have regular tv so I can't watch that! It might be time to add it. For the Jeopardy challenge. LOL. I crack me up.

Power to the GEEKS!

Melissa said...


mommyodyssey said...

I believe we may have been separated at birth. Seriously. I dye my hair purple, have tats and pierced stuff, play soduku and word games for fun, and I cannot wait to watch this thing! :-)

DaisyGal said...

that's awesome...I might have to watch just to see what it's all about. I am not Geek"y" but I do have some serious problems with Law & Order and Barry Manilow...;)

Beautiful Mess said...

If it makes you feel any better, I WISH i was a geek! I am just not smart enough to be a geek. I do like algebra though.

I think I will watch Jeopardy though, that's pretty freaking cool!
PS. Twitterpated is from Bambi! Thumper is So stinkin cute!

Mrs. Gamgee said...

LOL... check out my most recent post! My Beloved and I are pretty big geeks too, and we're real excited about the Watson tournament.

Geeks unite!