"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Confessions of a Not So Secret Geek

I do a good imitation of not being a total geek. I have tattoos, multiple ear piercings, dye my hair purple, and write posts about EdenFantasys. But, beneath that facade beats the heart of a dyed in the wool geek. My geekdom goes back many, many years. I was the curve buster in middle school and finished high school with a semester's worth of college credits. These days, I revel in my geekdom.  I do crossword puzzles in ink. I like algebra (how the hell did that happen). I love games that challenge my brain a bit. But, my geekdom came slamming home in grand style the other day. I saw a commercial that had me twitterpated (please tell me you remember where twitterpated came from). If I was a Southern belle, I would have been swooning with excitement. Ya wanna know what had me so excited? It was a commercial for the IBM and Jeopardy Challenge. IBM has built Watson, a super computer that can answer questions the way a person does and, on February 14th, 15th, and 16th, Watson will challenge Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter. My heart beat just a little bit faster when I discovered an entire web site dedicated to the development of this unbelievable computer system. I think I might be in love.

It's a really good thing my husband's a geek too. Otherwise, I might have trouble explaining why I want to stay home on Valentine's Day and watch Jeopardy.

I'd like to I'm off to try and salvage my reputation but a bit of American Idol and some crocheting isn't likely to do that.

7 comments:

Delenn said...

My husband are geeking about it too! :-)

It won in a trial run.

Kakunaa said...

I'm like you. Alternative geek :) Same type of high school performance. LOL.

And I'm sad we don't have regular tv so I can't watch that! It might be time to add it. For the Jeopardy challenge. LOL. I crack me up.

Power to the GEEKS!

Melissa said...

GEEKS RULE!!!!

Anonymous said...

I believe we may have been separated at birth. Seriously. I dye my hair purple, have tats and pierced stuff, play soduku and word games for fun, and I cannot wait to watch this thing! :-)

Kir said...

that's awesome...I might have to watch just to see what it's all about. I am not Geek"y" but I do have some serious problems with Law & Order and Barry Manilow...;)

Beautiful Mess said...

If it makes you feel any better, I WISH i was a geek! I am just not smart enough to be a geek. I do like algebra though.

I think I will watch Jeopardy though, that's pretty freaking cool!
*HUGS*
PS. Twitterpated is from Bambi! Thumper is So stinkin cute!

Mrs. Gamgee said...

LOL... check out my most recent post! My Beloved and I are pretty big geeks too, and we're real excited about the Watson tournament.

Geeks unite!