"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Mommy...fix it!

Tonight, surgeon mommy was on call. Luckily, it was just for a stuffed toy not for anything more serious. When Joey and I got home from cub scouts and playing with power tools, I went in to say good night to Gabe. He had his monstrous sized stuffed dog in bed with him and the bed and floor were covered with tiny styrofoam balls. Evidently, doggy had a serious boo boo. I pulled out my bag of poly-fill stuffing and a needle and thread and went to work. Since the dog had lost a ton of stuffing, his neck was even less likely to hold up that oversized head. I replaced the stuffing he lost plus a little and now the doggy can actually sit upright. Gabe seemed pleased that his new friend is in one piece again and I'm glad the dog isn't shedding any more styrofoam balls around my house. There is only one problem left. How in the hell do you get rid of the multitude of itty-bitty styrofoam pieces that have spread themselves throughout my house?
Sadly, these little things were originally limited to Gabe's room. I tried to sweep them up and that got some of them. However, it seems that the stryofoam balls that weren't cleaned up by that first sweep appear to be reproducing and spreading rapidly through the house.  HELP

11 comments:

Help! Mama Remote... said...

Aw. Are they sticking to you because of static. I remember those thinks. We only have a couple stuffed animals now. But my oldest had a huge bear that had that same filling. Try a damp broom that may help.

Jacquie said...

I have had to preform surgery several times! I know how you feel! I am still finding bits of Styrofoam from the last surgery and that was before I moved!

rys said...

Do you have a vacuum with a hose? We have a bagless vacuum, so after I dump it out I use a damp paper towel to wipe out the bin (and any of the styrofoam balls that stick inside of it) and into the trash.

I bet Gabe was thrilled to see his doggie looking like new. Way to go Dr. Mom!

Meari said...

Yay, Mommy to the rescue! Have you tried to vaccuum them up?

Quiet Dreams said...

I think those little Styrofoam bits breed. Don't know if there's any effective birth control for them.

Dora said...

Awesome surgical job. Sorry I have no suggestions for the "medical waste."

_ said...

LOL we've had that kind of styrofoam explosion..I think those seriously multiple once they are outside of whatever toy they came from. Great repair job...doggy looks wonderful!

Lynn said...

I'd say that doggie had a great surgeon! He looks fabulous and I bet Gabe was very pleased :D

We've had some experience with the styrofoam balls. Isabel (our dog) loves to tear into stuffed animals and, though we try very hard, it's not always possible to keep her away from them. I've found that vacuuming them up is the best way to get rid of them at our house!

Andi said...

Depending on how old Gabe is, you could give him a Treasure Hunt Mission....and he could exchange the found pellets for whatever you think is good.

battynurse said...

Glad you were able to fix the doggy. I have no idea how to clean up the styrofoam balls but hope by now you've gotten most of them.

Anonymous said...

Good job! As for those little balls, the only advice I have is don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight *g*...I feel so lucky that V decided she hates all stuffed animals.