"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Tunneling To China

Do you remember when you were little and it seemed like the greatest thing in the world to dig a really deep hole? And, do you remember people making cracks about digging to China? Well, I think my boys are taking that as a literal challenge. Although, as they pointed out, China isn't directly opposite North Carolina. I found out (courtesy of this site) that if they keep digging straight through the earth from here in NC they would end up in the Indian Ocean Kind of near AustraliaI think the inspiration for this feat of excavation was that I got excited about the fact that all the previous holes dug by the dogs and kids had almost filled in and the ground was smoothing out. The kids saw the satisfaction on my face when I contemplated not having to dodge holes with the lawnmower and that was all the motivation they needed to start digging again. Starting in late February/early March, the boys started to dig and dig and dig...At least, I only have one hole in my yard. That won't be too hard to dodge while mowing the lawn.

Anyone planning to to put in a pool or a garden? I have an expert team of diggers available.

8 comments:

areyoukiddingme said...

I'm pretty sure you are the most tolerant mom EVER! My mother would have killed me, if I had pulled a stunt like that. But, now you can easily install a water feature in your backyard!

Alex said...

When I was a kid, my cousin and I dug a huge hole, but then we got to some red dirt... We were convinced that we had reached hell, and the devil was going to come out soon! We filled that hole up so quickly, and started piling everything we could find on the hole. My grandmother was not amused...

Anonymous said...

looks like you could get the industrial plastic and put a fish pond in the hole. Would be kind of nice

Beautiful Mess said...

WOW! That is ONE big hole they dug! Don't fall in! And if we need a hole for a pool or a hot tub, ya'll are invited!
*HUGS*

Beautiful Mess said...

I just showed Zilla your pictures and he is VERY impressed! He wants to dig a hole in our yard...lol Oops!

Mrs. Gamgee said...

I was never much of a digger. I did try to come up with wacky inventions tho... of course I left them laying around for my parents to trip over.

How would the boys feel about coming north and working over our parking lot? It needs to be dug up before they can repave it.

battynurse said...

No plans for a pool but I have a coworker who's been digging to find the end of a string and she could maybe use help.
That is so funny.

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

I love it! When I was a kid I thought I could dig to China, but never tried. I would have ended up not far from you either!

If I ever do work in the back yard, I know who to call. : )