Where else can you go from gratuitously cute kid and animal pictures to talking about boobs in the space of one post? Well, maybe there are a few other places but today it is here. I know I've talked about boobs in the past. I talked about bras and how to make sure they fit and I celebrated National Cleavage Day. But, when 3 out of the top 10 keyword searches for my blog are variations on "boobs r us", its time to talk about boobs again. Fun facts, important facts, or just plain weird facts...they are all welcome!
1. Did you know fake boobs don't float but real boobs do? No, I'm not making this up. The density is different.
2. Boobs can get stretch marks too. Some women develop stretch marks on their breasts because they grew rapidly or got really large during puberty. These same women will be prone to stretch marks during pregnancy or significant weight gains. The tendency to get stretch marks is genetic. THERE IS NO WAY TO PREVENT STRETCH MARKS.
3. The week immediately after your period is the best time to do your monthly breast exam. Breasts are less tender and the tissue tends to be less affected by hormones making it easier to find problem areas. Do you know how to do a breast exam? If you don't, click here and there are videos that teach you how.
4. Even though women rarely grow taller past the age of 16 or 17, breasts often increase in size until we are in our early to mid 20s.
5. You can have a third nipple...*"It's not all that freaky for a woman (or a man) to have an extra headlight. This nonfunctional nipple is usually smaller and located lower on the body than the main pair, and it rarely develops or produces milk (it generally looks more like a freckle than a nipple, which is why many people who have one don't even know it). So how did it sprout? Early in fetal development, many "breast buds" form a U-shaped arc along the chest. Over time, these buds disappear, except for the two that turn into your main pair, says Dr. Casas. Star Mark Wahlberg is rumored to have a third nipple -- which was airbrushed out of his early '90s Calvin Klein underwear ads."
6. **When your boobage grows larger than (about) a DD, the fun ceases. Your shoulders are perpetually tight. Your neck and shoulders hurt because of the weight. And, they screw up the way clothes fit. If you buy a dress, you frequently have to buy a size larger than you normally wear because of the amount of fabric it takes to cover your boobs. And, if you happen to sew, you will have to modify patterns so they will accomodate your ginormous rack. IT SUCKS.
7. Nipples can change color (get darker) during pregnancy and while nursing. This is normal.
8. If you notice any significant change to your nipple at any other time during your life...abnormal discharge, shape change, or darkening not associated with pregnancy or mega doses of hormones, GET YOUR DOCTOR TO CHECK THEM.
So, do you have anything to add? Jokes, weirdness, or facts are welcome.
* I have read this in a more scientific location but this quote is from a Cosmo article. I don't read Cosmo but it was the first place I found the info online.
** This info comes to you via the school of Kristin