"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy Pi Day Y'all

Hope y'all are having an awesome Monday and a great Pi Day.  Sorry I've been absent but we've had the creeping crud around here. Poor Gabe got sick Thursday night and had to miss his field trip on Friday and a friend's birthday party on Saturday. Gabey was feeling mostly better on Sunday. We had a glorious 6 to 8 hours where we could claim everyone was healthy and then Joey got sick. Poor Joey spiked a temp of 102.4 and couldn't hold anything down. He didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night but is doing significantly better today (no pukage in about 6 hours).

Back to Pi Day...the geeky side of me revels in a day that corresponds with a mathematical term like Pi. In fact, if there were any justice in the world, I would be buying this necklace to celebrate Pi Day...
Sadly, the version this gloriously geeky necklace made by RGB Laboratory is only available in Japan and the version made by The Robert Christopher Company is way out of my budget. Luckily, I found a cool, and imaginative way to soothe my geeky need for Pi. A 7th grade math teacher came up with the coolest idea for making a Pi necklace. She had her students assign a color to each digit including zero and then they strung colored beads that corresponded with the digits of Pi. She also suggested using a larger or specialty bead for the first 3 in Pi. This is what she came up with to demonstrate the technique to her students...
I think I might have to make a Pi necklace (or maybe 2) today.

How was your weekend? What's on the books for you today? Are you baking Pi(e)?

2 comments:

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

Happy Pi day! Those are awesome!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I was BLISSFULLY ignorant of this day until I clicked over. AND NOW I'M CRAVING CHERRY PIE.

Thanks, Kristin.

;-)