"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Geekfest Linkage

Hey y'all...I am feeling compelled to share some awesome links I ran across in the past few days.

Have you ever dreamed of seeing the Sistine Chapel? I would love to go and explore every painted inch of the place but, sadly, a ticket to Rome isn't in my budget. In a move that stunned me, the Catholic Church actually did something progressive and modern and has an extremely hi-res photographic representation of the Sistine Chapel on the Vatican website (yes, Virgina, the Vatican really does have a website). While it isn't as good as seeing it in person, you can go from a perspective like this...
to a close up so clear you can see the cracks in the painting surrounding the God and Adam scene...
That is pretty awe inspiring. One small warning, the Vatican website has embedded music that can not be turned off.

And, you know all that unbelievably wonderful amateur photography that National Geographic always features. Well, now you can play with them.  That's right, NatGeo has a Slide Puzzle generator and a Jigsaw Puzzle generator that works with any of the huge number of amateur photos featured on their site. Truly a fabulous time waster.

Finally, did you know digital cameras have been around for $35 years? I had no clue they had been around that long. There is a cool video that shows cameras through the age.

Got any fun links to share? The geekier, the better.

4 comments:

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Very cool links! Thanks for sharing!

I'm currently into entering contests and I found this great site that takes care of all the entries for you, you just start the entry 'robot' once a week. (talk about geeky)

www.prizepeople.com

Alana said...

Catching up...

--LOVING the Sistine Chapel link, awesome! (I turned my speakers off though, you were right about the music.)

--Another t-shirt site you might like (has shirts that fit my plus-size body and large boobs!) is cafepress.com Reasonable prices and fun stuff!

--Your crochet pics were cool....from penises to campers I found it all interesting and entertaining. :)

--Quilt pattern your friend is helping you with looks amazing!

--Added myself to the Book Challenge, thanks for hosting again!

..al said...

Well, I am only sharing links and tweets on Charlie Sheen...;-)

But thanks for the wonderful links...

ColourYourWorld said...

I have seen the Sistine Chapel, but you can never get enough of it. Thanks for the links.

I had a good laugh reading these...
www.damnyouautocorrect.com/category/best-of-dyac/