"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Monday, March 14, 2011

The Brick Wall

About 2 pm today, I ran into the proverbial brick wall. I was (and still am) so damned tired that it is all I can do to stay awake. Multiple nights of sick children and interrupted sleep have truly driven home the point that I am no longer 20 yrs old. All around me were the sounds of a normal afternoon...video games being played, the dogs barking in the back yard, Gabe making gross jokes about something. With all the noise swirling around me, I was still so tired I could have gone to sleep then and slept until tomorrow but, damn it, I couldn't. I had to stay at least semi-coherent because I have 3 kids who either want or need me around. Suddenly, it hit me just how blessed I am.

Despite their transient childhood illnesses, my boys are strong and healthy.

Despite the chaos and noise, there is a sense of peace and well-being in my house. Everything is how it should be.

Despite the exhaustion, or maybe because of it, I realized how lucky I am to be available to my kids whenever they need me.

I sighed in contentment, propped my eyelids open with toothpicks, and went on with my afternoon.




Go check out the other perfect moments at this week's Perfect Moment Monday on Write Mind Open Heart.

6 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I love the way you can focus and center on what's right in your home, the blessings behind the exhaustion.

I hope that the next time I'm feeling that way, I can remember your example.

The Blessed Barrenness said...

I think its great that you can focus on the positive and see the blessings in the midst of the chaos and exhaustion!

Shelly- Mom Files said...

We all get to that point and it is awesome that you stop to recognize all the blessings in your life. I love you more and more every time I visit your blog :)

Anonymous said...

Just love this post. :-) beautifully said.

Kira said...

It warms my heart to read of a parent appreciating what they have :)

Dora said...

I hear you! I'm exhausted ALL. THE. TIME. But I have a happy, healthy miracle child.