"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Windex Warrior Take 2

Photo Credit: asobitsuchiya via Flickr
The invasion has returned. Yes, the fucking ants are back. And yeah, I still hate ants. Nothing creeps me out quite as much as seeing ants crawling across any part of my kitchen. I have been obsessive about keeping things cleaned up in my kitchen because I really hoped that my initial victory over the ants meant they were gone for the summer. I was delusional.

Not only are the ants back but I found out they are addicted to more than Fig Newtons. While Fig Newtons may be crack for the ant set, cereal is evidently like pot for the ant set. It seems to make them hungrier and hungrier...to the point where they got into sealed bags and boxes of cereal. I had to throw out a box of beignet mix and over half the cereal we had in our house.

This pissed me off. This pushed me over the edge. This time those ants fucking broke me. Windex was just not enough. I broke out the big guns. I went for the ant killer. I try really hard not to use anything toxic in the kitchen area because that means that everything that was already cleaned has to be scrubbed down again to get rid of the chemicals. I have to admit that there was a deep visceral satisfaction in stopping those fuckers ants in their tracks and knowing that I was creating an impenetrable barrier to those creepy crawlies. Now, I'm not deluding myself this time. As long as it's hotter than Hades here in the South, those 6 legged bastards will keep coming.

But, from now on, I'm armed with weapons of ant destruction. Game on bastards.