"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My Favorite Kind of Literary Insanity



Since I got my Nook, I've been reading voraciously and I've discovered many new authors I like. One of my favorite new discovers is John Carroll. John Carroll's stories are quirky, warped, and often more than a little demented. I love them.

My favorite find from Carroll is his short story The Emo Bunny that Should: A story for Demented Children. The story description says...
Emo the Bunny was a sad bunny. He preferred gloomy days, walks over a cliff and misery of any sort. One day he saw something very unusual. Normally he'd take a nap and try to forget about it, but for some reason he took an interest.

Ducks, bunnies, chickens, squirrels, geese, bears, cows, robins and The Easter Bunny all play a part in the disturbing events which show that woodland creatures aren't always as cute, fuzzy and innocent as they lead us to believe!

Caution: This story is not for normal children. If you have any intention of raising a well adjusted child, this is not the right tale for you.
Honestly, this description doesn't do The Emo Bunny that Should justice. It's bizarre, warped, twisted and funny as hell. Emo Bunny had me laughing out loud and made me want to seek out some of the other things John Carroll has written. And, this little gem of a story appeals to all ages. I loved it and so did my two oldest sons (14 and 10 when they read it).

Now, I know not everyone shares my warped and twisted sense of humor. So, I guess not every single one of you will like this book. But, if you like things like Mad (both the late night sketch comedy and the magazine) and In Living Color (the sketch comedy show that launched the Wayans and Jim Carrey), you will LOVE this story. The one thing I can guarantee is that you'll never look at the Easter Bunny the same way again.


*I received nothing for this review. I acquired the book on my own.