Yes, it's Saturday, the first day of our Spring break and I willingly got up at 7am. No, the kids weren't awake. No, the smoke detector wasn't blaring. In fact, it was blissfully quiet...silent even...and I still jumped out of bed after less than 4 hours of sleep.
Last week, I had the opportunity to go to a multi-neighborhood yard sale and I consciously decided to sleep through it. What could possibly convince me that it was a good idea to get out of bed that early on a Saturday? Well, free shit, of course. Yup, stuff that cost me nothing, nada, zip, zilch, zero, bupkis. One of the churches here in Cary has a yearly event called The Great Giveaway. People donate all kinds of stuff and all you have to do is show up and claim whatever you can get your hands on. I made out like a bandit. Seriously, it felt like I was doing something wrong claiming so much cool shit. What did I get you ask (come on...surely someone out there is asking...please tell me I'm not talking just to talk)? Well, since I'm being a totally lazy shit, I'll just have to tell you because I don't feel like taking or editing pictures right now. Here's what I got...
- 2 amazingly large bags of fabric (if you've seen the White House Black Market totes from BlogHer, I got enough to cram 2 of those full to bursting)...I got Christmas fabric (one bag obviously bought for a quilt), the coolest spider web fabric, some fabric suitable for clothes, and more
- a little bag of decorative buttons
- 3 skeins of Patons Shetland Chunky Tweeds yarn
- 3 pairs of jeans (1 for Joey and 2 for Marty)
- 3 pairs of shorts (1 for Joey and 2 for me)
- a pair of soft fuzzy brand new socks with the tag still on
- a beautiful sweater I can wear next winter
- a starter jacket from Super Bowl XXX that is in great condition
- a denim shirt and denim jacket that I thought would work for Joey (they turned out to be too large so they are going to the dad of one of Joey's friends)
- 3 soft, fuzzy, sweet teddy bears and a squishy stuffed gorilla
- a Matryoshka doll that was actually made in Russia
Despite the lack of sleep and the resulting sleepies hitting me, I thing this nothing was definitely worth getting up for.