"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Monday, April 04, 2011

Creating, crafting, calm

For me, one of the important Cs in my life is creating. Growing up, there were always crafts around my house. My mom was my Girl Scout leader and there were the requisite bins of glue and paint and craft sticks. We had stashes of yarn and paper and empty cans or jars. It was nothing for us to have the kitchen table covered with whatever project we had going on.  By the time I was 10, I was taking a sewing class and since then I've made everything from casual clothes to prom dresses to Halloween costumes. And, learning new crafts and the creative opportunities they gave me continued into adulthood. I was taught to cross stitch by a guy named Bobby who lived in my form in college. I was taught to crochet when I agreed to let a friend who was grieving the loss of a child teach me. Who knew I would grow to love both crafts so much? I've taught myself to knit, do hardanger, and quilt.

My love and passion for crafting and creating has been a life saver. My love of cross stitching introduced me to one of the most wonderful group of women I have ever know. These women were my rock and my support when my husband and I were battling secondary infertility. Crafting and creating is also the best mental health therapy I could ever find. When I am designing or creating, my mind can't focus on the stresses of everyday life or the occasional major disaster. Watching a design evolve, watching the beauty emerge brings a type of pleasure I can't even explain. And, I feel such joy when I can create something for someone else.

I long ago decided that my kids benefit far more from a mom who is calm and centered than a perfectly organized house. So, housework isn't always my priority. Sometimes, the den/playroom looks like a tornado struck but, my mental health is secure thanks to my creating.

4 comments:

Shelly- Mom Files said...

I envy your love of crafting. I used to be a crafter and lost every bit of feeling for it when I got pregnant with William. I have tried to get back the interest but it's just not there. Can cooking count? I LOVE to do that! ;)

_ said...

I totally agree with you. When the kids are grown and out of the house are they going to remember that the place wasn't spotless? Hardly. They'll remember a mom that was there for them because she made time for herself. Now if I could just get back to my stitching..it's been ages and was always my relaxation but it's hard to fit it in nowadays with seeming to be running around with the kids all the time. By the time they settle down, I'm exhausted and just want to go to bed myself.

St Elsewhere said...

Having any hobby is such a lifesaver! It takes you mind off, and lets you generate something that is so yours and so beautiful.

I am glad that you have crafting in your life. Hardanger is beautiful.

Having a hobby also means having space for self. And it is so important. Your mom taught you well, but you are also a good learner.

Lynn said...

I can completely relate to this! I love crafting! Creating something of beauty where there was once only the raw materials gives me such a rush.

I love to take a blank canvas and cross-stitch something beautiful onto it or to take beautiful yarn and turn it into something someone can love. Such a relaxing, peacful endeavour!

So glad you can find peace in it as well, my dear friend!