"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Friday, February 25, 2011

Slackers R Us or the 2011 Book Challenge

I am off to a shamefully slow start this year but, I still want to run this so here goes. I've made a few changes this year. Sign up is through Google Docs because this will give me easy access to the email addresses for staying in touch (something I SUCKED at this year). I will also be maintaining my book list and the participant list on a tabbed page under my header. Here are the basic rules...

  1. Please use this Google Docs form to sign up...comment if you like but sign up is through the form.
  2. your goal can be as high or low as you feel comfortable with...the goal is to read more, not to beat everyone else
  3. read, read, read
  4. keep a running total
  5. have fun
  6. if it is under 50 pages or an audio book, it counts as HALF a book
  7. anything over 50 pages counts as 1 BOOK no matter how long it is
  8. textbooks, childrens books, ebooks all count
  9. (thanks Jenn) rereading counts and any books read so far count
  10. cookbooks count as a whole book if you actually read them (I mean really read...not just skim while looking for a recipe)

I want to send my thanks out to Jen J for Navigating the Waters of Infertility and Beyond again because she was the one that sparked my Book Challenge in 2009. So, to get the ball rolling, I am going to keep my goal at 100 books. I hit almost 120 last year but I'm starting off this year at a much slower pace.

Finally, as I mentioned before, I am almost done with the tote bag for the 2009 winner and the 2010 winner. If you participated last year, I have either emailed you or posted to your blog. Comment here and let me know if you hit your goal for last year or how many books you read.

18 comments:

areyoukiddingme said...

Jeez, if I counted the children's books, I'd be reading about 40 books a week!

Mrs. Gamgee said...

I totally sucked again last year... 54.5 (gotta love doing book math!). I WILL hit my target this year... 75 books by Dec 31!

Jacquie said...

I am in!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE to read!!

Lynn said...

I've filled out the form for this year! Dropped my goal from last year (100) to 70 since I only managed to read 57 last year. And, honestly, if I don't get my slack ass in gear, I'll be lucky to read 10 this year! I started off really well with 2 books in the first 2 days of the year. Since then, I haven't managed to finish even one. Sigh. Maybe I'll have some luck this weekend!

Julie said...

I beyond hit my goal last year! It was 100, and although I stopped keeping track in October at 93, I know I went way over! I think I'm going to drop it to 75 this year though. Not sure how baby+books will work!

Ms Dreamer said...

Getting ready to fill out the form. Last year I estimated 50; I read 85 that I was sure of, and I stopped counting in July...if that tells you anything. I'm going with 100 this year!

Ms Dreamer said...

Getting ready to fill out the form. Last year I estimated 50; I read 85 that I was sure of, and I stopped counting in July...if that tells you anything. I'm going with 100 this year!

C said...

Filled the form.m a book addict. 75 is my goal, but am sure I will go beyond it. great idea!!!

ICLW.

Advo.cat said...

I am in awe of everyone here who has read more than 10 books... seems I have a long way to go.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and happy ICLW!

Anonymous said...

100 books! Wow. I guess with Min's books I might come close. You guys are awesome!

Chris said...

I'm in.

Kira said...

Sounds great. I have a STACK of books to get through. And I am, slowly but surely (although ICLW week has slowed that a bit lol) I don't know if I will join in though because if I have pressure to read I wont, but generally speaking I do read. A lot. Currently working on an anthropological examination of surrogacy in Israel titled "Birthing a Mother" :)

Alana said...

I am in!! And am totally committed to tracking my books read this year, as I slacked off on my books read list last year. Yay! :)

Now that we're including Kid's books as well, I'll up my ante to 100.

Vicki said...

Hey hon! My goal last year was 45 and I read 51.

Rebecca said...

I came up terribly short last year and only read 13 of the 36 I shot for. But, in my defense, a lot of that time was spent reading the Bible and taking a membership/confirmation class for church that had a lot of reading required for it.
That all being said, I am aiming for 24 books this year, plus finishing the Bible and two Lenten studies. Whew!

Deb said...

Slacking on checking my email and just saw this. I didn't come close to my goal this year, only read 20 books.

MrsSpock said...

My goal last year was 10 books, and I way out-read that number, thanks to signing up for Paperback Swappers. I read about 40 books.

Miss Tori said...

I'm totally behind on my blog reading. I did surpass my 2010 goal.

Set the same goal of 30 books for 2011.