"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Friday, February 18, 2011

A Baffling Case of the Blogging Blahs

Y'all might have noticed that I haven't been posting or commenting with my normal fervor (jeez, self-important much?). I'd like to say I had a good excuse like running away to the Bahamas with my pool-boy Raoul or inheriting from a long lost relative and using the money to jet off to Paris.  Sadly, it's nothing that exciting.  I think a good dose of an extra busy schedule + dealing with a recalcitrant laptop = a great big case of the blogging blahs. I've been reading a bit and trying to keep up with what's important (I know there have been two ALI babies born) but I've been a total slackard when it comes to commenting and showing my support to all of you wonderful people. I'm still suffering from the blogging blahs but I need to get myself out of my writing slump. So, I'm going to get off my ass and give y'all the general life update I've been promising and then I'm going to ask a favor.

My little family went through a pretty big change right around the end of 2010. My husband's job situation changed. To understand why this change was made, I have to give you the back story. A few years ago, Vic became the 911 director in a little local town. Now, as most of you know, Vic was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes right after Gabe was born. Some Type 2 diabetics have a fairly easy time controlling their disease...a little diet change, maybe a little bit of meds, and all is well.  That was not Vic's situation. Vic falls on the extreme end of insulin resistance. Nothing except meds and a bunch of them stood a snowball's chance in hell of controlling his diabetes. Now, as Vic's endocrinologist explains it, if they live long enough, all type 2 diabetics will eventually reach the point where they require insulin shots and not just oral meds to control their diabetes. Well, once again, Vic fell into the short end of the odds and, in January '09, his pancreas decided that since his body was rude enough to not use the insulin it made then there was no reason to continue producing it. Although he is still technically a Type 2 diabetic, he is completely insulin dependent (with his huge heaping helping of insulin resistance on top of it). As most medical people know, stress can affect blood sugar levels. And, for my husband, the office work of being 911 director was much, much more stressful than actually being on the console and dispatching calls. As the past 2 years went by, Vic started noticing that on the days he was in the office, his blood sugar would go through huge spikes and it was taking more and more insulin to control them (not good when you already have to take enough insulin that it could drop an elephant in it's tracks)...so much insulin that it was affecting his ability to do the job to the best of his ability. However, on the days he had to fill in on the console, his blood sugar levels were much more stable and he avoided having to take extra doses of insulin. So, after much soul searching and a little bit of beating his type A personality into submission, Vic decided for the sake of his family and his health, he needed to step down as the 911 director. Since the beginning of the year, Vic has been working as senior telecommunicator (dispatcher) and it has done wondrous things for his blood sugar levels. In the past month, his blood sugar was only above 200 on two occasions and, even with dropping his evening dose of Lantus (an insulin type) from 170 units (see, I told you it was enough to drop an elephant) to 100 units, there have been many mornings when his blood sugar was on the low end of acceptable. Yeah, the step down in position has meant a bit of a pay cut but it is helping Vic's health immensely and that is worth more than any amount of money you can mention.

In addition to all the changes with Vic's job, there is all the normal kid based craziness going on. There have been multiple birthday parties to attend. School events to fit into our schedule. I've got the paperwork to register Gabe for kindergarten (GULP...he can't be that grown up already). Joey is testing for his deputy black belt in Tae Kwon Do this weekend so we've had a lot of prep work to do for that. And, Marty is turning 14...holy shit how did THAT happen?

So, now to the favor. When I get the blogging blahs, I tend to flounder around searching for topics. So, can y'all please ask some questions, suggest some topics, or even suggest something or someone I should feature. Help this bitch out...I'm declaring a HaBO emergency.

*In response to battynurse's comment, that is only one of the types of insulin Vic is on. He takes three different types.

9 comments:

Meredith said...

I'm so happy for Vic that he made a great change for the better at work and that y'all can already see the improvement in his health. It's so nice to read an update, as we head into the weekend, on how you're doing. I would love to hear about what crafting projects and books are capturing your interest. And how the boys are doing and your companion animals have been. =)

AnotherDreamer said...

Wow, glad he's made some changes and it's doing good. That's really tough to deal with, I hope that in time it gets even more under control. You have a lot on your plate lady. I'd also love to hear about crafting projects and books you're reading :) Any recent kid shenanigans (I LOVE stories about your kids, they're always amazing.)

areyoukiddingme said...

Definitely worth a small reduction in salary to maintain healthy blood sugar levels! Glad to hear it's (mostly) working out for you all. I know the hours are still rough, though.

battynurse said...

So I'm a bit on the brain dead end of things right now and not good with suggesting topics. I will say however that is fabulous on his diabetes being more under control. I hope it continues to be better with the new position. And holy crap that is a ton of insulin. I don't think I've ever given anyone that high of a dose. Yikes.

Barb said...

I'm so glad he's better!

Colette S said...

I'm so glad there is such a big change with Vic's health. There is no money that can be more than his health.

I'm sorry you are having the blogging blahs. Just relax into it and you'll come roaring back. Fight it and you'll extend the blahs. Plus you are a hilarious writer, so you'll be great.

Shelly- Mom Files said...

That is really good to hear that Vic's health is improving with the change of position. When Dwayne worked as a 911 dispatcher he avoided applying for a supervisor position because of the stress involved.

You are completely allowed a blog slump every once in a while. We all have to live life some time! Looks like you have your plate full and sometimes we have to tend more to our real world and less to our virtual world. I have been doing a great bit of that lately.

Mrs. Gamgee said...

I wonder if it's maybe a bit of this time of year getting to you as well? I know for me, the stretch between New Year and Easter is a bit long and dull, not to mention uninspiring.

Are you planning a garden this year? Thinking about what you're going to be doing when the warm weather comes? Oh, and did I miss the Book Challenge post? ;)

I'm really glad that Vic's blood sugars are better in line. I have a much bigger understanding of how frustrating it is now. I would get so frustrated when my blood sugar would sky rocket when I would have an emotional/stressful day. Dealing with a paycut sucks, but if it means that he's healthier, then it's a good trade off.

Everyone goes through bloggy blahs... you'll get back into the groove.

Rebel With.A.Cause said...

Awww sweetie I totally get the blogging blah's... I have a serious case of them right now. Just hang in there, I know you will be back at it before to long.

I am glad Vic is doing better, and that those boys are keeping you busy!!

Much love coming to you from the coast!! :o)