"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Happy 14th Marty!

Dear Marty,

I promise not to get too reflective or talk too much about what a cute baby you were. And, I wouldn't want to embarrass you (too much) by talking about what a handsome young man you are. Instead, I just want to say how impressed I am with the young man you are turning into. I love teaching you to cook and, even more than enjoying the teaching, I love that you want to learn to cook. Your help around the house since dad started back on night shifts has been invaluable. I don't know many kids your age who would volunteer to stay up a bit later not to chill out but to help fold laundry. I was also really impressed with how willing you were to help Joey practice for his Deputy Black Belt exam. I know y'all have your moments but it makes me smile to see you two working together and helping each other out.

It makes me happy to see you exploring and developing your faith. It still floors me when you say you like going to church because there were days I never thought we'd reach this point (what mom of a teenager hasn't said that).

I love you and I'm so lucky to be your mom.  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARTY!

14 comments:

AnotherDreamer said...

Aw, happy birthday to him!

Delenn said...

Beautiful post. Sounds like a great kid! Happy Birthday to him!

*Tanyetta* said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARTY!!!!!!!!!

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Happy Birthday Marty!

Keep on with the learning to cook... girls love guys who know their way around the kitchen!

By the way... you rock! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, belated. Hard to believe that we have known you for 10 years. Will misses you and he also likes to cook. Take care and keep your mom in line.lol

Meredith said...

Happy birthday Marty! What an awesome guy you are at 14! Woohoo, hope this coming year is a fun one.

Kathy said...

Happy 14th Birthday Marty! :-) What a beautiful post/birthday letter to your son Kristin. He sounds like an amazing young man. Marty is blessed and lucky to have you as his mom.

Take care,
Kathy

ICLW

Kir said...

Happy Birthday Marty..
you are a great young man and you have a fantastic mom. :)

areyoukiddingme said...

Happy Birthday, Marty!

Nina said...

Happy Birthday, Marty!

battynurse said...

Happy Birthday Marty!!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday, Marty!
I hope you had a wonderful time.

Kakunaa said...

Happy Birthday Marty!

rys said...

My Dearest Marty,

Much happiness as you enter your high school years. And while what your mom and I talk about on the phone is a mystery to you, you are entering the age that everything girls do will be a mystery to you too.

Much Love from one of your loving Aunties