"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Quiet Principle

This was first posted over at Weebles Wobblog on July 10th when I guested blogged for her. I decided to post it here too because it's too good of a story...

If you haven't said it, I know you've heard someone say it..."All of a sudden I realized it had been too quiet for too long and I discovered him in the X." You would think after 12+ years and 3 kids, I would realize that too much calm and quiet does not equal a good thing. It equals a kid up to no good. But, even the most experienced parent has moments when they savor the quiet...and, pay the price later. I had one of those days not too long ago.

It was a horrible rainy day and Gabe and I were stuck inside. I was trying to get so work done for my *design company but kept getting interrupted for mommy duty...getting a drink or putting together a puzzle or reading a book. Right before lunch, Gabe came up and said he wanted to wash his hands. When I got up to help him, he told me he wanted to do it on his own. Normally, I try not to let him go into the bathroom unsupervised because he ends up making a mess but I was so thankful to not have to get up (I was on a role designing) that I let him go. I was really in a groove with my design work and, without even realizing it, 15 minutes had passed.

Aaaah, the glorious quiet. But wait, I don't hear Gabe. I don't hear water running either. What could he be doing? I went to find Gabe and this is what I found...


I can understand how the toothpaste got all over the counter but how did it get in and on his ear? Never mind, I don't think I want to know. I guess this was karmic payback for when I finger painted my bedroom walls with **Crest toothpaste when I was 2.

Gabe was thrilled to get to have a bath in the middle of the day. Water + toys always equals a good time in his mind. And, I got a nice shiny, clean counter out of the whole incident.
So, remember the Quiet Principle...Never succumb to the bliss of uninterrupted quiet time. You will pay for it later.


* My bff and sister by choice and I have a cross stitch design company, Cuppa Joe Designs, that we launched just a few months ago.
** Did you know the Crest toothpaste of my childhood would remove paint?

6 comments:

battynurse said...

This thought often works with misbehaving animals too. If they have stopped bugging you it's for a reason and often not a good one.

Jen J said...

My Grandma was always a big proponent of what we now refer to as the "Karma principle." She'd always tell us that whatever we dole out to our parents we'll get back 10-fold. If that's the case then I'm in TROUBLE (especially in the event that we have a daughter because I was a bratty, bitchy teenaged girl!)!!!!

I agree with battynurse - whenever our dog disappears it's a bad sign.

BTW ~ Thanks for the awesome comments on my blog. They mean a TON!!!! =)

Meari said...

Yup, too much quiet does not equal a good thing, lol. No, didn't know Crest of our childhood could remove paint. Scary, huh?

Chickenpig said...

Well, it's not as bad as it could be :) When my brother was a baby and my mom was enjoying a brief moment of quiet, my brother "painted" his entire play pen with the contents of his diaper. She had to throw it out because it was beyond cleaning.

Sheliza said...

haha! I NEVER rest when it's quiet unless a little person I know is sound asleep!

MrsSpock said...

I learned this the hard way today when I found my 15 month-old son on top of a step ladder that he'd pushed up against a table...