"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Sunday, March 04, 2012

The Least I Can Do

It's almost midnight. Almost all the lights are off in my house. I really wanted to go to bed about 2 hours ago. Instead, I'm sitting in front of the TV, watching shows with my son, and typing this post.

I'm sitting here feeling totally helpless and like I've failed my son. Poor Marty has had a migraine since last Sunday night. That's right, he hasn't felt well over 7 days (I could round it off to about 173 hours). He hasn't felt well in over a week because of something he inherited from me and that just makes me feel lower than low.

My poor son has missed the last 5 days of school and will likely miss one more because I can't make him feel better. He can't sit in front of a computer to do any work because it makes his nauseous. All the lights are out in the house because he is so extremely light sensitive right now. And, any loud or sharp noises can bring him to his knees.

We've tried motrin, tylenol, pain meds, ice packs, caffeine, prednisone, and anything we can think of to help Marty feel better. I think the prednisone might have worked but the horrible weather fronts have come one after another after another. Since I can't make him feel better, I'll sit here with him until his exhaustion is greater than the pain and he is able to sleep. It's the least I can do.