"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Spooktacular Fun

The weather this past week has made me so happy. I LOVE Fall...the cool crisp weather, the nights starting to come earlier, pumpkins, deep rich jewel tones. I also love Fall because it signals the coming of the holidays. One of these days I'll have the time and energy to decorate for all the holidays the way I want to...even for Halloween. I have grand plans of setting up a grave yard complete with the SkyMall zombie and this super cool motion sensing talking figure of Death. Of course, at the rate I'm going, I will be able to play the role of an old decrepit graveyard resident by the time I get around to this.

The funny thing is that this obsession with Halloween has been around since I was in elementary school. My sisters, friends, and I use to set up our very own haunted house in my bedroom. Even though the entire haunted house was in my room, we still managed to have multiple levels of haunted house. I had a lovely closet with a sliding door that doubled as an elevator between the floors of the haunted house. We just had to convince our friends to stay in the closet long enough to redress the haunted house set. My extremely patient parents put up with us hijacking kitchen goods to create the bowl of intestines and the container of eyeballs. I'm pretty sure I remember us raiding the bathroom supplies to create containers of slime (shampoo works great for that). We did this on more than one occasion and my parents always let us. It was cheesy, not very scary, and a hell of a lot of fun.

I'd love it if you shared a childhood holiday memory with me. What was your favorite holiday? How did you make it special? Was it as thoroughly ridiculous as what my sisters and I did for Halloween?