- I never expected to see the Berlin Wall come down. - For those of you in your early twenties, unless you are a serious student of history, you may not understand why this was such a big deal. The Berlin Wall separated more than a a city. It separated families. It created a culture of haves and have nots. And, the East Germans/Soviets were willing to kill people to keep them from crossing that wall.
- .I never expected to see the Soviet Union fall. - For so long, the USSR was such an ever present threat. And, they seemed bent on Empire building and strengthening their nation. It was stunning to see all the individual countries regain their freedom.
- I honestly never expected to see an African-American man become president. Seeing how Obama won the hearts and minds of Americans gives me hope that we can continue to conquer old prejudices and maybe one day elect a woman or an Asian-American or even an openly gay person to the presidency.
- I never expected to see the countries in the middle east rising up against the dictators who had oppressed them for so long and I certainly never thought a technology many think of as frivolous (Twitter) would help these rebellions succeed.
- After the incredibly hellish start to puberty with Marty and the active dislike for church services, I never thought I'd get to the point where he would say "Let's make sure we go to church today. I really like it and don't want to miss this week."
- For a long time, I thought we might not be successful in having our third child. Obviously, we beat the infertility bitch and Gabe has been with us for more than 5 years.
Thursday, May 05, 2011
Things I Never Thought I'd See or I Should Have More Faith
The events of this weekend got me thinking. Despite the faith I have in our military, I had begun to wonder if we would ever get Bin Laden and,not only did we find him, but we did so in spectacular fashion. This made me start thinking of all the things that have happened in my life time that I honestly never expected to see...things on both a worldwide and personal level.
Posted by Kristin at 11:08 AM