2 lbs ground beef
1 large Vidalia (or any sweet) onion
2 cups (unchopped) baby carrots
4 cups broccoli
6 stalks of celery
3 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp parsley
1 1/2 tsp basil
salt to taste
2 1/2 cups water
1 cup good red wine*
For thickening: 2 cups cold water with 1/2 cup flour dissolved in it
- Brown ground beef over medium heat
- While ground beef is browning, dice onions, celery, carrots, and garlic
- Drain ground beef and return to heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Stir thoroughly.
- Add oregano, parsley, and basil and cook until the onions begin to become translucent.
- Add the red wine (I used a Cupcake Vineyards Malbec) and water
- Let is simmer for 15 minutes
- Add half the thickening agent. Simmer an additional 10 minutes.
- If you want your broth/sauce/whatever thicker, add the rest of the thickening agent.
- Add broccoli and cook until broccoli is tender crisp
- Salt to taste and serve over rice.