"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Thursday, November 03, 2011

Bullets Flying

or It's been a long, long day
  • Halloween day was wet, cold, and rainy...YUCK.
  • This worked out well for the kids. Because people weren't expecting a lot of kids due to the weather, our children all came home with a truly absurd amount of candy. 
  • I think the conservative assessment was between 10 and 12 gallons of candy.
  • We had sick kids. Well, one bonafide sickie and 3 of the other five were sniffling.
  • My long day actually started Monday night. I'd been up late working on some tote bags I had promised my mom I would make. I was ready to go to bed and Marty woke up hurting.
  • He was having what I thought was deep muscle pain up near his left shoulder. Instead of getting into bed and getting a semi-acceptable night of sleep, I was up for a long time with him.
  • Marty and two of the other snifflers were home from school on Tuesday.
  • Turned out that the doc (saw her on Tuesday) thought it was chostochondritis or inflammation of the cartilage in that area. Said with anti-inflammatories, it should start getting better ASAP but recovery period could be anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks. Oh Joy
  • On Tuesday night, Marty started experiencing muscle weakness in his legs and the arm (on the side with the chostochondritis) was having muscle spasms. He was home again on Wednesday.
  • I was up really late again trying to finish up the tote bags.
  • On an up note, Rys and I were chaperones on the 5th grade field trip to the NC Museum of Natural Sciences. We had a blast.
  • I came home from the field trip and went to work finishing the last tote bag.
  • I finished it just as my aunt rang the doorbell (she was stopping by to pick up the bags on the way to visit my mom).
  • Marty's muscle issues still weren't better on Wednesday so I called and got him an appointment today. Our doc checked him out and decided he needed an MRI.
  • Most of me knew that he would be ok but a small part of me spent the afternoon panicking about what the MRI would find.
  • Marty's MRI was 100% normal but his doc (thank God) picked up on the fact that his allergy medicine (chlortrimeton) has one extremely rare side effect that would account for the muscle issues he was experiencing. In a tiny fraction of chronic or long term users of chlortrimeton, dyskinesias can be caused (tremors or difficulty in performing voluntary muscle movements). Hopefully, discontinuing the chlortrimeton will completely clear up these issues.
  • Once again, weird medical shit has happened to my family.
  • A plus that happened this week is that I think I truly have made it in the blogging world. I got some pain in the ass responses in the comments of my last What The Fuck Wednesday post.
Sorry for the lack of true coherence in this post. I'm just too tired to try and be witty or creative.