"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Friday, October 14, 2005

Me, myself, and my kids...

Guess I should included the hubby too, huh?

My week of insanity started last Friday (don't worry...Gabe is fine)...and it better end this Friday. It started off with my going to my doc (primary care NOT OB)...my breathing had felt tight for a few days and it just wasn't getting better. Turns out I had a mild case of bronchitis that caused an asthma flare up. I think if it had happened when I wasn't preggo, I probably wouldn't have even noticed. So, I am on antibiotics and an 8 day course of prednisone (standard course of treatment when dealing with an asthmatic). I am so glad I went in because I feel sooooooo much better (even after only one dose of each).

Then, I ran home to get Marty so I could take him to get the new lenses in his glasses. That was easy but I was sooo tired at that point because I was a bit sick. When we left there, we were going to run to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things. I started down the ramp to the highway and got caught in the traffic from this wreck (btw, just heard the UPDATE on the news and found out there were 70 cars involved in the accidents...not just 40). It took me an hour and a half to get one mile down the highway to the next exit...and, of course, I had both boys in the van...UGH. Before I got caught in that traffic, I had beautiful, polished fingernails...it frazzled me so badly that by the time I got off the highway all my fingernails were bitten off. Traffic was sooooo bad on the secondary roads that I knew there was no way to get to Wal-Mart. When I told the boys we weren't going to get there to get their treats, they went into a meltdown...understandable given the circumstances but certainly NOT acceptable. I was sooo frazzled that I went into my own crying meltdown...can we say HORMONE hell? Of course, Joey started sobbing and saying they didn't mean to make me cry which made me feel like crap. We all survived it though and I made it home to feed them and finish the cleaning before the baby shower on Saturday.

The baby shower was a bright spot. My family and my inlaws were all here...even my hubby's cousin's wife (my cousin-in-law?) and her son. The wonderful Miss Margaret and her family were able to come (YAY!!!!). Also, my bestest friend Jennifer and my friend Lisa from down the street and her family were all here. I think it was a total of 11 kids and 11 adults (12 once Vic was able to join us). My nieces were soo cute when I told them Gabe could hear them if they talked to him...they both introduced themselves and were talking to him. Everyone was so sweet and brought the nicest gifts even though I had tried to tell them gifts were nto necessary...that I just wanted to celebrate Gabe's imminent arrival (ONLY 7 WEEKS AWAY!!!!!!!!). Obviously, with all the kids and the men here, this was not a traditional shower and I think that made it MUCH better. We all sat around chatted, ate yummy snacks (thanks mom!), and had cake. The kids ran rampant through the house and played outside despite the fact that EVERYTHING was still wet from the rain. Between having a delivery date and having gotten a crib, pack and play, and the stroller/car seat today, I think I am really beginning to believe I am having this baby. I am still in a bit of disbelief over all this.

My hubby is back on night shifts this month (it started this past weekend) and I have the worst time making myself go to bed when he is on nights. It also seems that I have hit an insomnia stage with this pregnancy (boy I hope it ends soon...the insomnia that is). This all joins together to mean I have been up until a gawdawful hour many nights this week.

And, there are a few nasty bugs going around here and poor Marty caught one of them. He came home from school on Tuesday doing ok but, by dinner time, he was complaining that his tummy hurt. Initially, I thought "oh, this will pass" but that thought disappearred when his dinner didn't stay down. He got sick again Wednesday night. He didn't get sick today but it wasn't until the late evening that we got anything except chicken noodle soup into him. I may keep him home tomorrow just to be on the safe side. He has completed all his school work for this week so it wouldn't be a big deal.

I had a non-stress test today and Gabe did not cooperate at all. I should have been in and out of the office in no more than an hour...maybe a few minutes more. But nooooooooooo, the little shit let us get a good heart tracing for about 10 minutes and then decided to play hide and go seek with the monitor. Despite the fact that we could sit there and watch my belly jump, we tried for about half an hour and could not reacquire his heartbeat for more than a few beats at a time. Since my OBs office is literally attached to the hospital, they had me go over and had the NST done on the really powerful machines in L&D. Gabe passed his NST with glowing results...lots of movementand a nice variable heartrate. I got out of there a full 2 hours later than I had planned. Oh yeah...I regained anpother 2 1/2 pounds. That leaves me 3 1/2 pounds below my starting weight.

That delay meant that I had an hour and a half to get lunch, deposit a check, get some necessities from the grocery store, and make it to Marty's school to pick up his homework before the teacher's left. Believe it or not, I managed to get it all done.

Also, I have finally added a section to my web page for Gabe. The link is http://home.earthlink.net/~chfdcpt/thehatchery.html I've got all the belly shots, shower pics, and other stuff in one location now.


Emma said...

Sounds like an eventful week. I'm glad the shower went ok, it sounds wonderful.

Hope you're all feeling much better now.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, love that growing belly!!! You've (Okay, GABE) has really popped out in the past month! You look wonderful and still below starting weight? wow!

Looks like you've had a hectic month since your last update. And yes, Kristin I'm HAPPY NOW! :-P

Love the web site you set up. Looks like the shower was tons of fun!!!

Only 7 more weeks! That time will FLY by! Have everything ready now? Just so exciting!

Thanks for the great update! :-)

chris said...

Glad you're doing so well and that things are progressing nicely.

My husband said you called last night but, as usual, couldn't remember anything else about the conversation because he NEVER listens anyway and what's the point. Oh, sorry. Anyway, I don't have your number. Or maybe I have it. My brain is in a funk.

Take care. Talk to you soon.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better, you look so wonderful! Wow, Gabe will be here SOON!