"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Who is your God?

Tell me what you believe God is like. I believe in a merciful, forgiving God. Yes, God can be a god of hellfire and damnation (look at the old testament) but that isn't all there is to him. I also believe God has a sense of humor. He has to have one (Monnie, I'm letting my SIP loose)...after all, look how we reproduce.

I know some of you must be wondering where I'm going with this. Well, I had to explain this so I could tell you a story. My sister found her way back to faith after years of falling away from religion. Like many people who are newly returned to faith, she takes it oh so seriously. While it is ok to take faith seriously...in fact, it can be imperative to take faith seriously when you truly believe, my sister takes every expression of religion seriously. She can see no humor in even a simple turn of phrase if it contains a reference to God. A few years back, we all had gathered at my parents' house near Easter. Friends and family were all having a wonderful time. I was talking to an old friend and, when we realized we had known each other for more than 16 years, I said "Holy shit!" I didn't mean anything by it. It was just an expression. But, my sister looked at me like I had committed a heinous sin. My sister said, (in a very indignant voice) "Kristin, shit is NOT holy!" This was one of those times that the perfect retort flowed off my tongue without me missing a beat. My SIP was loose. I looked at her and said, "God's shit is." I think I was the object of her prayers for salvation for quite some time.

So, can you see the humor in that? Or, would you be offended too? Please tell me. I really want to know.

1 comment:

Christa said...

I believe that G-d is multi-faceted. He is a G-d of grace and mercy, but yes also judgment. He also gave us each a sense of humor, so I believe that yes, G-d too, has a sense of humor. I don't know if He excretes, but your comment was still funny!