"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Sunday, March 07, 2010

Venturing out again...

Well, I decided today was the day to put on my big girl panties and brave the fearsome world of knitting groups again. I'm sure my regular readers remember my post about the debacle that ended my last attempt to join a knitting group. Well, since that lovely day, I've taken a break from trying to find a knitting/crocheting group. Intellectually, I know most crafters are not like the shallow, vapid women in that last group. I have met too many wonderful people through cross stitching, quilting, and yarn groups to judge others by those twits. I don't know why I hadn't gone to any of the numerous meetings the group in Raleigh has held. Maybe I was just feeling a bit burnt by that last encounter. Maybe that last time around made me feel a bit too much like the high schooler(from eons ago) who lacked any confidence in herself. Or, maybe the Raleigh group was just too overwhelmingly large for me to feel like I'd find a home there.

Today, the knitting group here in Cary had their first meeting in a while. The two lovely ladies who run the group also happen to be the owners of a little yarn store here in town. Now, if you picture one of those wonderfully quaint stores with gorgeous yarn displayed in every nook and cranny, you have created a perfect mental picture of this store. There were about 9 women there and there was never a dull moment. The conversation was flowing and everyone seemed so warm and welcoming. All of a sudden, I realized that I really had to pack up and head home for dinner. Almost 3 hours had passed in the blink of an eye. I'm really looking forward to meeting with them again.

Oh, by the way, these ladies are not knitting snobs. 2 of them also crochet and they were oohing and aahing over the crocheted socks I was working on.

7 comments:

MrsSpock said...

This definitely sounds more like a nice bunch...

Carrie27 said...

There is no way they can vote you in or out, right?

It sounds like it is a much better fit, and I'm glad you found them.

NotTheMama said...

Clicked over from Mel's. Sounds like a lovely way to spend a day!

battynurse said...

Glad that the new knitting group are a group of nice normal people as opposed to snooty cows and that you had a good time.
PS you should go look at my blog or shop.

..Soo.See.. said...

Yay for finding a nice group!! Woot woot!!

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

So glad you did that! That's awesome!

Too bad so many of us are so spread out, it would be lovely to be in a knitting group with you and some of the other lovely bloggers!

Meari said...

I'm glad your second attempt at a knitting group went better :)