"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Thursday, March 18, 2010

The 10 Promises Of A Stitcher

All of you who are crafters of any sort will get a good giggle out of this. Crafting has a way of taking over your life and your house. If you do something other than cross stitch, just substitute in your craft of choice.

The 10 Promises Of A Stitcher (with thanks to Robin for posting this list on Facebook)

* I will not stuff embroidery supplies in every corner of my house. I fail at this.

* I will not keep 14 projects going at one time. I do not fail at this. I have many, many more than 14.

* I will not buy more threads, patterns, or books when I have a ton at home. I fail at this.

* I will not let my stitching space look like a condemned area. I fail at this.

* I will not relegate the kitchen table to needlework. I fail at this.

* I will not stock up on more stitching supplies just because they are on sale. I fail at this.

* I will not let my embroidery distract me from making dinner. I fail at this.

* I will not stay up all night stitching. I fail at this.

* I will not buy every embroidery magazine I see. I fail at this.

* I should not make promises I cannot keep.

So, tell me, do your crafts take over your life and your house? Have your supplies morphed into a stash and your stash morphed into *S.A.B.L.E. ? It's confession time...come on, it's good for the soul.


*S.A.B.L.E. = Stash Above and Beyond Life Expectancy

8 comments:

niobe said...

My 18-year-old has been working on a craft project that involves (a) large quantities of "vintage"* flatware from Goodwill; (b) a soldering iron; and (c) the entire dining room table.

I'm not even going to ask.




*and, in this case, vintage = beat up, ugly and questionable-looking enough that I encouraged him to boil them before using them.

Chris said...

I'm with you in failing all 10...at least if I don't make dinner, it's only me that suffers.
Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh i love the pretty colors of the embroidery thread. I lost my container of them when i moved one of the last two times though. I to have to have them flat on the cardboard holder. Hey maybe that is a good excuse for me to buy the plastic thread holders(do they still make them and are they better. And a much larger box then I had !! You wouldn't happen to have the pattern of a little boy in a metal bathtub/washtub would you ?? Think it came out in 95ish forgot what magazine. Mine was destroyed when my car caught fire. Was making it for my son who is now 16 but with a almost 2 year old son it would look cute on his wall too

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

I fail at all of these! i can't tell you how many totes of stashed yarn I have in my house. Ha ha!

Fat Chick said...

HA! I WIN! Seriously, for the longest time my beads took over my home (back in college). I got so sick of stepping on misc beads (IT HURTS) that I made some ground rules:

1. My craft supplies have to be put away when not in use.

2. I can't own more than I can store.

3. I will not own stash. [epic fail]

3, revised: I will use up my stash and then be more diligent about only buying yarn for projects. [This has meant that I haven't been in the yarn store in a long time. I miss it.]

4. I will not print out or buy a pattern because it's cute. I will only print out or buy a pattern if I am going to use it.

5. My patterns must stay in binders or on the bookshelf, unless they are being used.

There are more, but you get the idea. My place is small, and adhering to these makes my life much less cluttered and relieves alot of the clutter-induced stress.

Nina said...

I fail, too. Fail with a capital F.

MrsSpock said...

Stitching addict ;)!

I do admit to having a finished quilt top lingering in my basement for the past decade, that needs batting and quilting (but it's so damn ugly I can';t stand to look at it), and an afghan I started two years ago.

battynurse said...

Oh yeah, I'm a failure at most of this. For a long time it was rubber stamps although I've gotten rid of most of that stuff. Now it's fabric, sewing and sort of quilting. I haven't truly seen my kitchen table in weeks and an hour ago I was considering getting rid of it (I never use it for it's intended purpose anyway) and making a craft table in it's place.