"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

SHOW AND TELL: Cakes R Us

Welcome to our weekly expedition into the land of Show and Tell. Y'all know Show and Tell is wasted on the elementary schoolers. Join us weekly to show off an item, tell a story, and get the attention of the class. In other words, this is Show and Tell 2.0.

Marty has reached an age where he no longer wants a typical birthday party and he doesn't want a typical birthday cake. Over the course of the past year, I've shown him a few different cakes on my friend Susan's bog, She's Becoming DoughMessTic. He fell in love with her Best Birthday Cake Ever but decided he needed it with Chocolate Raspberry Mousse instead of Chocolate Orange Mousse. Mine isn't quite as pretty as Susan's cake because I don't have all the piping tips she has. but I think it turned out pretty damned wonderfully. Even though I made two of these, they were gone by the day after his family birthday gathering.
Chocolate Raspberry Mousse Cake


I also recently made a cake for the cake contest at the Dr. Seuss birthday party Joey's school held. One of the categories for the cake contest was The King's Stilt Cake for the tallest cake. Of course, that was the category Joey decided we should go after. The cake wasn't much to look at but damn did it taste good. I was running out of time and I could either assemble it all or make one layer of it look pretty and, since he wanted to go for the tallest, I tamped down my perfectionistic tendencies and put the biotch together. We did win and here is what it looked like (thank God they served almost all of it there and I didn't have to bring it home)...

********************
If anyone wants the recipe I used for the Raspberry Mousse, let me know. Other than that, I followed the recipe and instructions on Susan's site.
********************
To see what everyone else in class is bringing to SHOW AND TELL, take a trip to visit the Miss Mel, Goddess of the Infertility Blogosphere.

16 comments:

Fertility Chick said...

Those cakes are amazing! Both look yummy to me! I may have to bring out my inner back and attempt the chocolate mousse cake! Thanks for sharing!!

areyoukiddingme said...

Mmmm...cake! Those both look delicious!

Michelle said...

I am impressed! They look wonderful and YUMMY!

Beautiful Mess said...

Nice work! I love chocolate raspberry mousse, but I've never had it in a cake, just cheesecake. It looks and sounds delicious!
*HUGS*

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Is it wrong that I don't want to MAKE the cake but I really want to EAT it? I love those flavors.

Wow -- that's some tower!

battynurse said...

That chocolate raspberry mouse one looks yummy. Granted in no time or way should I make something like that at my house as I'm the only one here to eat it. The other one is cool. Glad it won the prize.

Tas said...

Yummy!

AnotherDreamer said...

Mmmm, cake :) I am definitely impressed, very fine looking cakes- they look delicious.

Terry Elisabeth said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm cake and icing, lots of icing.

..Soo.See.. said...

Wow!! They look awesome and sooo yummy!! The tower cake is great! Yay for the win too!

Rebel With.A.Cause said...

Dude, that Hat cake is something!!! Way to go!! The other one looks yummy to, but I don't like raspberries!!!

Hugs,
Erica

JuliaS said...

Kristin - all I can think of to say is you ROCK!!! :0)

You can make me a cake anytime . . .

Barb said...

Cool! You are SUCH a fun Mom!

Coffeegrljapan said...

My birthday is in early April and I'm trying to decide what to eat/make to celebrate. I was a Tiger baby so this is a big year for me! I think your chocolate raspberry idea is inspired and looks beautiful! And that Dr. Seuss cake is amazing!

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

Awesome cakes!!!!!! Thanks for showing and telling about them.

MrsSpock said...

Oh that choco raspberry cake looks good!