"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Narrow Minded Bigotry At It's Best


photo by rt69 on flickr.com

Today, I read a news story that first made me sad and then made me really fucking mad. The Itawamba County school district in northern Mississippi canceled the prom rather than let Constance McMillen wear a tuxedo and attend with her girlfriend. God forbid, the narrow little minds of that area be forced to acknowledge that there people and situations that might bend the stereotypical norm. I don't know about you but I would rather see two young ladies holding hands, treating each other respectfully, and dancing than the out of hand PDAs provided by the male/female couples at my prom (and homecoming dance and...well, you get the picture).

This whole situation combined with the fact that one of the biggest opponents to gay rights in California, Sen. Roy Ashburn (R-Calif.), just admitted he is gay makes me wonder if we will ever get to a decent level of acceptance, a level of equality we should all enjoy. The simple fact that Ashburn felt the need to crusade against equal rights for gays and, thereby, himself, and that he couldn't even admit what his own sexuality is tells you how damned far we still have to go.

Sigh, I'll keep working on this in my little corner of the world. Y'all keep working on it in yours.


*edited to add, I am damned proud of my boys. They heard me grumbling about this and were totally confused as to why there would even be an issue about this...after all "what's wrong with them going and dancing together." Then Marty asked me "Isn't it your friend P who is a lesbian?" When I told him yes, he asked "How are she and A doing?" I told him they were doing wonderfully and he said "Good. After that douchebag of a husband she had, she deserves a good relationship." While I don't condone use of the word douchebag by a 13 yr old, I love that he wanted to know about her relationship and that he is so supportive of it.

10 comments:

..Soo.See.. said...

Wonderful that your kiddies are open and accepting! But sad and will continue to be sad for so long to come, that some of the rest of the world isn't. I hope the prom cancellation gets overturned. Off to read more!

areyoukiddingme said...

How absurd to cancel prom. Perhaps it will make this particular generation (the youngsters who will be denied their prom) a lot more concerned about equal rights for everyone.

You should be proud of your boys! What a fantastic display of character from a 13 year old!

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Oy! I cannot believe that they can even get away with that!

Kudos to you for raising your kids to be accepting and tolerant.

MrsSpock said...

I grew up in very conservative Cincinnati,and by the time my younger sisters were in high school 10 years ago, gay teens were going to prom together without too much hubbub. What a lot of fuss over nothing!

Jenn said...

They are getting a LOT of bad press about that. I imagine they regret the whole thing because it would have been less disruptive to just allow the girls to go together. It's very sad and I hope that we are way past that by the time the next generation grows up.

I have a gay cousin who came out during a family reunion- it was funny seeing the reactions of the different generations. The grandparents were horribly offended and thought she was bringing shame to our family, my parents were like whatever but I don't want to see it, and all the cousins in my generation were like why didn't you bring your girlfriend? Where is she? It was so nice to be a part of that group.

It's up to all of us to be as vocal and supportive as we can. It sounds like you have done a wonderful job with your boys- I am trying to do the same with my daughter. She knows that some families have mommies, and some have daddies and some have grammies, etc. and families just mean people who love each other and take care of each other. I hope she never loses that.

Big Mama T said...

Ugh, I saw that story today, and it made me so, SO angry! Bigotry is just so disgusting...

ANd you should be so proud of your boys 8=)

battynurse said...

I saw a quick blurb about this today as I was walking through the break room and I'm pretty sure it was on F.O.X news because they were going on about how horrible it was that all those kids had to miss out on prom because of those 2 girls. What the fuck ever. I also saw that thing on TV the other day about the Senator here. What a mess. I'm so sick of people thinking it's their place to tell everyone else what's right and wrong and what we should all be doing with our lives.
I agree that your kids sound like great kids.

Dora said...

Canceling the prom! Idiots!

Bravo, Marty!! As for the profanity, I've been saying I want my girl to learn these words at home, not on the streets. Then I can teach her when it's okay to say them and when it's not. IMO, Marty used the word in the proper context. :-)

Anonymous said...

Had the two girls kept quiet about what they were doing and just showed up at the prom things wouldn't be as they are now. They have themselves to blame. No one else.

*Tanyetta* said...

I was lost on the prom situation. Why didn't she just pay her fee, show up in a tux with her girlfriend? Anyway, I am LATE to the topic, I am sure the situation has been figured out by now. LOL