"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

How hard is it to copy medical records?

...or Smart Documents Solutions Must Not Give A Damn...

As most of you know, I have a seriously screwed up obstetrical history. 11 pregnancies, 8 miscarriages, 4 D&Cs, pre-eclampsia, partial placental previa, pregnancy induced hypertension, luteal phase disorder, a clotting disorder requiring twice daily injections for the duration of my last pregnancy, and all the visits and testing that go along with that do NOT make for a small medical record.

Since we moved a year and a half ago, I have been trying to get a complete copy of my records. My old OB's office was doing their part. 3 times they sent my file off to Smart Documents Solutions in Alpharetta, Georgia and 3 times I got incomplete files back. The first time, I got 3 pages back. Yes folks, 7+ years, all those issues, and they sent me 3 fucking pages. The second time I got a large manila envelope...I had hope it was all there. Not only did it take me 3+ hours to put it in chronological order, but I discovered that many pertinent documents were missing. A lot of the doctor's notes were missing and the chromosomal analysis we had done after one D&C was no where to be found. The third attempt was not even as complete as the second attempt at copying my files.

If I am ever crazy enough to try and travel the pregnancy path again, I MUST have a complete copy of my records. I will never get the care I need for a successful pregnancy without those records. Finally, I called my old OB's office and, after explaining all this to the office manager, she offered to take the time out of her dally schedule and make a copy of the records herself. All I had to do was tell her what year to start with and she would copy everything for me. In 2 days she copied it all and put it all in chronological order. Thats right, in 2 days she did what a major company couldn't do in 2 fucking years.

The lesson behind all this is simple...regularly request copies of your records. Its the only way you can be assured of having a complete copy if you suddenly move or transfer doctor's offices. Either that or simply don't ever have as fucked up a medical history as I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.