"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Road Trip

I'm so excited. Tomorrow, my mom and I are climbing into her car and driving about 3 hours to go to a book signing/meet the author event.  I'll finally get to meet (in person) my dear friend and incredibly talented author, Rachel Simon.

Early in the summer of 2010, Cecily put out the word that a friend of her's was looking for people to review one of her books. I am so glad I told Cecily I wanted in because that's how I hooked up with Rachel. Back then, I got to read Rachel's incredible book, The House on Teacher's Lane. I felt like I got such a clear picture of who Rachel was and I truly could see the beauty of her spirit. I guess she must have liked what I said about the book because we've been in touch ever since and I even got to read and review her current and most amazing book, The Story of Beautiful Girl. I owe Cecily a big one because without her, I never would have found Rachel's friendship.

In addition to getting to finally meet a friend, I get to go on a road trip with my mommy. It will be so cool to get to spend time with my mom without the kids in tow. God, it's been ages since we've had more than an hour or two together. After losing my brother-in-law so suddenly in January, it has become so important to me to grab every chance I have to spend time with my loved ones. It's going to be so much fun.

When's the last time you went on a road trip? Where did you go and who did you take the trip with? Tell me all about it.