"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Monday, February 20, 2012

Happy Birthday, Marty!

15 years ago today, my life irrevocably changed. 15 years ago today, my oldest son, Victor Martin Cruz (Marty), was born. 15 years ago today, I became a mom for the first time. Life would never be quiet again.
I am in awe of the wonderful young man he is becoming and I've got to applaud his fortitude. This year is his first year of high school and he has dealt with a lot. He had a bad reaction to allergy medicine that left him going from class to class in a wheelchair for the better part of the first semester. Despite all the days he missed while dealing with that, he kept it together, worked his ass off, and kicked butt in his classes. I am so proud of him and the work ethic he demonstrated.

Right now, I'm not sure what blows my mind more...the fact that the handsome young man in the picture above is the same person as that little baby I brought home 15 years ago or that, in only 3 years, he will be nearing high school graduation and going off to college. Wow...that totally blows my mind.

Happy Birthday my wonderful son. I am blessed to be your mom and I wouldn't trade it for anything.