"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Sunday, August 09, 2009

The Stroke of Brilliance completed...

I actually finished it last night which tells you how quick a project it was...the idea hit around 3 pm and I finished it last night before bed. The only materials I had to provide were thread and a needle (and, of course, a sewing machine). After making the memory quilt, I had a maternity shirt and three bibs left over. I was trying to figure out a way to use them creatively without having to make another whole quilt. Then it struck me, what does every mother need? A laundry bag. And, this is what I came up with out of one repurposed maternity shirt and 3 bibs...
The long sleeves were used to make the handle and the bibs were hand appliqued on there. The open necked area is on the back and I added hook and eye closures so laundry or whatever is stored in here won't fall out. I am really thrilled with how it turned out. What do y'all think?

Carrie mentioned that she couldn't see how it worked and I didn't think to explain since I had it right there in front of me. You just can't see the opening from the front of the bag. The little bit of white you see at the top it the collar which is attached to a v shaped neckline. I've attached fasteners to the neckline so it can be shut so the clothes don't fall out.

11 comments:

Calliope said...

well aren't you clever!
and I am a bit jealous as none of my maternity shirts ever looked that hip!

Nina said...

Creativity at its best! Excellent use of available resources!

Carrie27 said...

I suck, I can't really see how it functions. But, I do think it is super creative!

Anonymous said...

That's an awesome way to recycle what was left over. Nice.

JJ said...

Wow--that is a stroke of genius! Looks awesome=)

becomingwhole said...

I am constantly amazed at your creativity! wonderful!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

That is very very clever. And useful.

Shelly- Mom Files said...

so creative and cute! I really love your work girl :)

nancy said...

check out how fucking cool you are. I'm ~so~ not crafy!

Beautiful Mess said...

Very nice! Good work! I totally love it.
*HUGS*

battynurse said...

Very cool.
I like the idea of memory quilts too. Someday I want to make a quilt of all my scrub shirts. Someday when I'm done with them I guess.