"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

SHOW AND TELL: the bra tales

Once upon a time, many, many years ago, a little girl and her mom went shopping for her first bra. Unfortunately, the girl's preschool aged sister went with them. This girl was only in the 5th grade so she was rather embarrassed about the whole process of shopping for a bra and her sister didn't make it any better. Her little sister marched into the store singing, "Grow little boobies, bigger, bigger; I want a better lookin' figure..." The girl, her mom, and her sister headed toward the lingerie section and, it was quite obvious where that was because they had mannequins clad in all shapes and sizes of bras along the top of the shelves. Then, the little sister topped off the girl's level of embarrassment by announcing at the top of her lungs "Get that big orange one Kristin. It's sexy."

****************************************

A few years back my sister (yeah the same one that embarrassed me) was telling me about a shopping trip with her friend. And, my sis was totally cracking up. She said this friend was too embarrassed to try on bras but she had figured out that her head was the same size as her boobs (either she had a really small head or really big boobs because my ginormous bra fits my head). So, her solution was to try bras on her head instead of actually trying them on. I have yet to figure out why that is less embarrassing but its a damned funny story.

****************************************

And, that last story brings me to this picture. It was just too cute to not share and it fits the theme perfectly.
****************************************

Most of us have heard Mel's tale of the turkey cutlet bra. Do you guys have any other interesting or funny bra stories to share?

****************************************

To see what everyone else in class is bringing to SHOW AND TELL, take a trip to visit the Miss Mel, Goddess of the Infertility Blogosphere.

12 comments:

Flying Monkeys said...

I don't but that's hilarious, I'm not sure how that would be less embarrassing either. I have tinies but with a barrel chest. I remember going for a corset type thing to wear under my wedding dress and the sales lady said my measurements were too odd. I found one at a different shop so they aren't that odd.

Billy said...

Trying on a bra by putting it on her head.. totally weird! (and I too don't see how that's less embarrassing..)

And that's a funny pic :-).

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Ok... I've got a good story for you! When I was 17 I went for my first ever official bra fitting. I have always been top-heavy, and I needed somthing to wear under my prom dress. My mom took me to a special lingerie shop, and the ladies there seemed to be really nice. They got me a couple of bras to try on and I headed to change room. I was trying one on when one of the ladies called through the curtain to see if I needed any help. I said I was doing ok...

and that's when she walked in to my change room. I was so stunned that I couldn't speak... as stranger seeing me in my bra! Then she said something like, "oh no, you need to adjust them" and she reached into my bra and started to rearrange the 'girls'! The whole time she's talking about the merits of a good bra and how sagging is just awful. I was flabbergasted!

My mom was floored, I was embarassed, and apparently this was all in a day's work for the ladies at the bra shop!

Beautiful Mess said...

AHAHAHAHA! I love it! Zilla has worn my bra before. It was REALLY bad (funny) when he came out with one of Nae's bras over his shirt. Poor Nae was MORTIFIED! I, on the other hand, thought it was HILARIOUS!
*HUGS*

Carrie27 said...

No funny bra stories, as I have no boobies. I'm just the one they crack jokes on in the family.

Shelly- Mom Files said...

hee hee hee! I love that photo :) The only cute bra story I have is that my girls refer to "real" bras as "cup bras".

rys said...

I actually have a picture of Kristin wearing a bra cup as a hat.

The bidding starts here... (evil grin>)

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Only that I didn't need one until I was about 25.

And I'm talking training!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

BTW, adorable photo!

And yuck on the Desitin...

battynurse said...

Ok that is seriously funny. I tried to comment on this at work the other night but for some reason I can't open your blog from work. It freezes up every time. But I laughed so hard the other night.

battynurse said...

And I'm cracking up at Mrs. Gamgee's story. I would have freaked at 17 and some woman adjusting the boobies.

Meari said...

Is that a bra on Gabe's head?? Both bra stories -- Too funny. Unfortunately, my head is wayyyyyy bigger than my bra.