"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Home of the Bionic Grandma

You know that old saying that age is just a state of mind. Well, my mom found out last Friday that her mind and her body have a serious disagreement about her age.

My mom is the principal of a small private school for kids with Asperger's. Last Friday, one of her teachers brought in a balance board (the kind that is sometimes used for physical therapy) and the kids were playing on it during PE. Well, my mom being my mom, she had to jump up on it too. When she first got on the balance board, she was facing to the right and was balancing like a pro. The teacher who brought it in commented on how impressed she was, dais she hadn't managed to stay on a single time. Well, my mom shifted to face left and lost her balance. She went shoulder first into the hard packed soil they were over. My mom ended up with a bunch of spider web fractures radiating out from the joint.

My mom is scheduled for surgery this Friday. Her doctor says their is a slim chance he can reconstruct the shoulder but, until he opens her shoulder, he can't properly evaluate if their is sufficient blood flow to support the bone healing. The strong likelihood is that my mom is going to have a new shoulder put it. If that happens, my mom will hereafter be known as The Bionic Grandma.

Can y'all say a prayer for my mom or keep her in your thoughts or whatever? Either way the surgery goes, she's in for a long recovery.