"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Slight Delay

Y'all, I had intended to have part 2 of Vic's Story up today but, I am wiped out. Remember when I wrote about making an appointment to get that mole removed? Well, I went in today. I was tired when I went in but I was completely drained when I I left the doctor's office. See, my body metabolizes anesthesia incredibly quickly. I mean 9 shots to do a crown quickly, lifting my legs only 45 minutes after my c-section quickly. To make the topical anesthesia last longer, they used marcaine and added epi to the shots. Even with all that, it took twice as much as normal to numb the area and it barely lasted long enough. By the end of the excision, I was regaining feeling around the edges. The problem was the epi made my heart feel like it was beating 100 mph and was beating out of my chest. That just totally drained me of whatever energy I had.

Oh yeah, my doc said she thinks it wasn't a mole but it was actually a dermatofibroma. A dermatofibroma is a small, benign tumor that usually causes no problems but can sometimes develop a painful sensitivity that makes you want to have it removed. It was 7mm in diameter and enough of it was beneath the skin that I had to have a couple of stitches put it...fun, fun. I get to go back in about a week to get the stitches taken out.

I'll have the next chapter of Vic's story up tomorrow afternoon.

4 comments:

Jen said...

did my post get eaten?

Nina said...

Your heart probably WAS pumping 100 mph! Epi is a speeder-upper they give to jump start you when you try to go see Jesus in the hospital. I'm glad you're ok, but I know you feel rotten!

MrsSpock said...

I had a dermatofibroma removed last year and I needed 5 stitches.

Wow- after my c-section, it was 4 HOURS before I could lift my legs. Your liver wins the prize!

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Ugh... I hate having moles removed. Hope you're feeling better.