"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Sunday, May 01, 2011

Sunday Smorgasbord

See, I had a post full of randomness for you and didn't want to wait until tomorrow to post it under the heading of Monday Miscellany...love the alliteration. So, instead of Monday Miscellany, you are getting the Sunday Smorgasbord brought to you bullet style.
  • As much as I adore cross stitching, it has been absolutely ages since I have picked up floss and needle. I've been getting that itch for cross stitch lately and I may be getting it back out.
  • Yesterday afternoon was spent doing yard work/gardening. Some brilliant individual decided to put a flower bed between the driveway and the house. I thought it was a serious waste of all the gorgeous daffodils in it and, that extra 2+ ft of space would mean we could park our vehicles side by side. So, yesterday I conned Jennifer into helping me replant the daffodil bulbs after I split them. We replanted about 100 bulbs, gave my neighbor about 50+ bulbs, and I have a bunch more to go.
  • Speaking of neighbors, my kids' friends' father helped out big time with the gardening. The front garden bed that I designated for the daffodils had a volunteer tree that continually regrew right against the foundation of the house. I had taken a chain saw to it twice and it still grew back every spring. I hated getting rid of such a healthy tree but it was in a horrible location and there was no way to dig out the root ball. Dudley took a pickaxe to that bitch and ripped it out of the ground. Now the bed is a happy home for my daffodils and day lilies.
  • It's sad that the few hours of yard work I put in yesterday left me so tired.
  • Did you know that the Crest Spin Brush sounds like a vibrator when you turn it on? Well, it does.
  • After I wrote my post about Vic, mommyodyssey commented that she wanted the back story I alluded to. Vic has given me permission to tell it. So, sometime soon, I'll tell you the whole tale.
  • Today was all about maintenance too. Marty tackled the front lawn and I got Joey and Gabe to clean the den. The den still needs work but, thank God, the floor has reappeared under all the crap they had left around.
  • I think I've have succeeded in getting Marty hooked on Doctor Who. I'm so proud that I'm raising a Sci-Fi geek.
  • Teaching Marty algebra can make me INSANE. As much as I love math now, I had horrible problems learning algebra and Marty has the same issues. When we clash, we clash big (and, sadly,  I remember having the same ugly fights with my dad when he tried to teach me algebra...sorry dad). I think our latest algebra battle was not just about algebra.  I think some of it was also about him being nervous about going to high school next year.
  • When I was helping Gabe and Joey clean the den, I came to the conclusion that I need to cull the toy herd. I will have to do it when Joey isn't around because he does not want to give anything up. I know for a fact he hasn't played with the Power Ranger toys in ages but he claims "I use them to have battles all the time." I swear I think the child would keep every single scrap of everything that comes through the door of the house.
So, what new or random is going on with your life?

    5 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I miss gardening... oh the bummers of a rental.

    Math was tough for me as a kid... almost got held back in 5th grade actually. But one day it just... clicked. And now I don't understand when people can't figure out simple math. Irony!

    Elizabeth Mueller said...

    Kristin, we did it! Congratulations! I have an award for you!!

    Sarah Allen said...

    Dropping in to say hi. Great blog :)

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    battynurse said...

    As a matter of fact I did know that about the crest spin brush.
    I'm also convinced that boys/men can be worse pack rats than women. My ex had the bill stub for every bill he has ever paid. Even back into the 70's. You know, just in case the power company comes back to say he didn't pay it.

    Mama Bird said...

    I wish I could see our daffodils and tulips blooming that I planted at our last house in St. Louis... living in a condo in CO means now mowing the grass but also no spring flowers. :-(