"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Monday, April 02, 2012

Books Galore...my dream reading room








ooks, Books, Books...there are many things I could give up or do without as long as you don't take away my books. For me, books are so much more than just something to read during leisure time. Books teach. Books inspire. Books provoke. Books allow escapism. Books help you dream.

In fact, my dream house would have a room devoted entirely to reading. I wouldn't call it a library. In a house, the word library evokes much too formal a feeling. It would be our reading room. The entrance to our reading room would be disguised with bookshelves, like this...
and the mechanism to open it would be a fake book on the shelf that you tip outward. Not only would the room's entrance look super cool but it would fulfill a childhood fantasy of having a hidden room with a secret way to open the door.

The inside of our reading room would have the same look and feel as this charming little reading nook...
In fact, I think I'd have the walls lined with these nooks with strips of wall in between so you could hang art and have large floor to ceiling windows. I love how the light wood floors keep the room from feeling too dark despite all the books.

In the center of the room, I'd have a table with this as the base...
Each of these letters are shelves with doors and are tall enough to be used as a table base.
I think if you added a spacer of about an inch or two on the top, you could have the table top and the doors without them interfering with each other.

I would truly love spending time in a room like this. If money wasn't an object, what one room would your dream house contain?


*pictures are all links to sites containing items or ideas