"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Sunday, July 18, 2010

A bit of this, a bit of that...

Do you know why or how coffee came to be called a cup of joe? I didn't until this morning. Thanks to a blurb on Yahoo news, I found out. According to the website Origins of Navy Terminology,
Josephus Daniels (18 May 1862-15 January 1948) was appointed Secretary of the Navy by President Woodrow Wilson in 1913. Among his reforms of the Navy were inaugurating the practice of making 100 Sailors from the Fleet eligible for entrance into the Naval Academy, the introduction of women into the service, and the abolishment of the officers' wine mess. From that time on, the strongest drink aboard Navy ships could only be coffee and over the years, a cup of coffee became known as "a cup of Joe".
********************
Do you know the difference between boys and girls? My friend Rys's daughter does. Her explanation is absolutely hysterical. GO READ IT
********************
I just bought a great dress for BlogHer. It's a classic black dress and I love that I can dress it up or down. Avenue is having their Semi-annual Sale with up to 70% off and you can find promotion codes here. I only bought one dress but found about 10 I liked.
********************
It's haircut day in the Cruz household. Gabe needs a trim. Marty needs a major cut (shhh, but he has bowl head going on). And, since Joey actually does a pretty darned good job taking care of his hair, he will be allowed to keep it long.
********************
My hubby once again rescued us in the computer department. He put a good graphics card back in our computer and, when it turned out that the kids' computer needed a motherboard in addition to the power source, he scored a newer working computer off of Craig's List for only $50. I heart Craig's List. The Craig's List tally includes an $80 stove, a $150 fridge, and the $50 Compaq Presario 6000. I'm not sure which is the best deal.
********************
I think I'm feeling the need for a couple of book giveaways...one crafty based and one infertility based. Stay tuned for details.
********************
So, any good deals, great sales, or interesting stuff going on with you?

7 comments:

rys said...

We must've been on the same wavelength, because I got a dress for Blogher this weekend too! Only you didn't tell us which dress...I looked at different ones trying to guess which one is yours! I got mine at Macy's, it has a crocheted top with a tie-dye skirt attached. I also got a skirt, shirt shoes and light cardigan.

The song has 3 completed verses. 2 more to go! Oh and hubby keeps asking me if I find his attraction attachment...attractive.

Colette S said...

Ahh you learn every day huh. That's interesting about the cup a Joe.

I do the haircutting in this house. I hope it will be good enough as he gets older.

I need bed for my daughter. Perhaps I need to visit Craigslist. You had some awesome deals!

I do have one interesting bloggy thing coming up in August :) Tell you later.

As for now I'm just listening to tunes and getting happier...music does this to me.

Jo said...

The only sales I've hit lately have been at Staples...they had folders and pencils for 1 penny each! Stocked up my classroom, and scored some great deals in the process.

I hate clothes right now, and will for a while I think. Nothing fits, even though I've got sizes 8-14 hanging in my closet.

Ugh.

Kir said...

I loved this post, you sound soo good. :)

sounds like you had a good weekend, can't wait to see the dress. :)

chicklet said...

I heart craigslist too. Particularly for baby stuff - so cheap, barely used!

Meari said...

Interesting tidbit about Joe, and the diff between boys/girls - HILL-arious! Not much going on here.

battynurse said...

I heart craigslist too.
I just bought a dress a couple of weeks ago and need an occasion to wear it to. I wish I could come to blogher.