"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Involuntary fertility control...is it ever a good idea?

What would you say to someone who published a book that said that, in order to save the planet,
• Women could be forced to abort their pregnancies, whether they wanted to or not;
• The population at large could be sterilized by infertility drugs intentionally put into the nation's drinking water or in food;
• Single mothers and teen mothers should have their babies seized from them against their will and given away to other couples to raise;
• People who "contribute to social deterioration" (i.e. undesirables) "can be required by law to exercise reproductive responsibility" -- in other words, be compelled to have abortions or be sterilized.
• A transnational "Planetary Regime" should assume control of the global economy and also dictate the most intimate details of Americans' lives -- using an armed international police force.
I don't know about you but those ideas are fucking terrifying to me. The idea of our incredible country being turned into a draconian dictatorship like that is mind boggling to say the least. What would you say if that same person also said, "Indeed, it has been concluded that compulsory population-control laws, even including laws requiring compulsory abortion, could be sustained under the existing Constitution if the population crisis became sufficiently severe to endanger the society." The fact that this person thinks measures like this could possibly be legal under the Constitution is terrifying. And, what would you then say if I told you this man grew up to be John P. Holden, our new Science Czar?

Yes, our new Science Czar was co-author of a book called Ecoscience: Population, Resources, Environment that proposes all these ideas to control population growth that he believed was out of control. All of this was reported in an article in FrontPage magazine and was discounted because no one had proof and surely any ideas so bizarre must be being made up to discredit him. Well, someone got a hold of an intact copy of the book, scanned pages, and posted them for all of us to see. Go ahead...go check it out...I'll wait for you to come back. When Holden was questioned by Senator David Ritter, (paraphrasing here) Holden said that he no longer felt he could predict what a decent population level was so he didn't want to discuss it. Ummm...in my mind, that is nowhere close to disavowing the the ideas he proposed in that book. In fact, this man still lists Ecoscience as part of his Curriculum Vitae. That is a damn long way from disavowing the ideas he and the Ehrlich proposed back in 1977.

Women have fought long and hard to be recognized as equals in this society. Women have fought long and hard for the right to control our own body (ummm, Roe v. Wade...its all about controlling our own body). And, for all you prolifers out there, don't think this doesn't affect you. This man proposed forced abortions. This might be the one issue prochoice advocates and prolife advocates can agree on. This man, this scary man, at some point advocated measures that would remove almost all control of our bodies and our reproductive rights from us. This man has been given a position of power and importance in our government. It scares me that a man who publicly supported such ideas could influence government policy. It scares me that a president I had such high hopes for is willing to give a person like this an influential position. Stay aware, stay educated, and watch things closely. Be ready and willing to fight for our rights. And, push hard to get this man to STRONGLY and PUBLICLY disavow the ideas proposed in Ecoscience.

19 comments:

Sandy said...

Truly scary stuff.

AnotherDreamer said...

Eek and ick.

My body is my body, and I wouldn't let anyone control it. That would be a violation of my basic freedoms, not just as a US citizen, but as a human being.

I'd immigrate to another country before I would live the way his book proposed.

CreoleInDC said...

Considering this position is usually in charge of nothing much it doesn't really scare me. Now if they started allowing him to assist in policy change regarding health care coverage, etc...yeah...I'd worry.

Oh...and just cuz I'm a fan of our President does NOT mean that I agree with everything he does. I'm a fan of my brother too and I tell ya...sometimes I wanna choke snot out him.

Aunt Becky said...

Yipes.

Stacie said...

Scary. Scary, scary, scary.

Carrie27 said...

Interesting....

battynurse said...

That is scary.

Beautiful Mess said...

I am not even sure I can coherently put a decent sentence together on how I feel about this! I do know that it is SO very scary and I can't EVEN believe someone thought it would be a good idea. Much less put it into the form of a book! Oh dear God!

Anonymous said...

in china or japan they have a one child per couple law...that is why it is easier to adopt asian girls then boys as they are preferred

Soralis said...

Very scary!

..al said...

Does that happen in the USA?

OMG! Can't believe this chap...was he in the Chinese government before this?

..al said...

Reaction to the Anonymous:

In china, the rural folks can have two kids. More than two, and the mothers have to forcibly part with their babies, and they are often trafficked into foreign countries.

Dora said...

Holy crap! While I am an Obama supporter, there are quite a few of his decisions I have major problems with.

stitchersanon said...

I wouldn't worry too much. He isnt spouting anything that isnt in half a dozen Science Fiction books that I have read over the last 30 years. Probably where he got his ideas from.
Many European countries are offering awards for reproducing mums because their populations are dropping...why they just don't allow more people to enter their countries from over populated countried I do not know...well I do, but we won't go there ;-(

Anyway, I am sure Michelle, Obama's wife will point out another method not mentioned by this loon. Compulsary castration lol. I know several men for whom this would be a good thing. Hell, give me two bricks and I will do it for them rofl!

MrsSpock said...

It does sound like a dystopian sci-fi novel to me. Freaky!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

That is scary stuff.

Wishing 4 One said...

O.M.G. That is some scary shit. How the hell did he get in, even if he does nothing, scary man! He is a spastrim (word verification, seems appropriate and applicable to him.)

Anonymous said...

That is really scary and disturbing

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this.