"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, May 02, 2012

This is my life...

  • I spent 9+ hours with Gabe's kindergarten class this week. I went on a field trip on Tuesday and personally shepherded 5 kindergartners around the NC Museum of Natural Science. That was an adventure.
  • If I had been sane, that would have been it. But, I would have felt bad if I didn't go in for my usual volunteer hours today and I ended up there for 4.5 hours instead of just 4. Remind me to avoid the classroom the day after a field trip.
  • My husband has worked 8 out of the last 10 days (tomorrow will make it 9 out of 11). That doesn't sound so bad until you consider each of those days was a 12 hour shift.
  • 26 hours of overtime in one week both sucks and rocks. It sucks because of the exhaustion but rocks because of the paycheck.
  • I think Gabe is going to grow a foot overnight. He has been eating so much that I think a black hole has taken up residence in his stomach.
  • I was doing so well at keeping up with all my friends' blogs. Then, Marty got sick and my schedule went to hell in a handbasket (where does that saying come from?). Even though Marty is finally back to normal, my schedule has yet to recover.
  • Can someone please tell me where to find the extra 6 hours I use to cram into every day?
  • Marty told me today that all he needs for his humor fix is and on facebook or twitter.
  • My sweet Jolie girl is about 12 years old which is old for a large dog. She's starting to slow down. She's healthy but is definitely showing her age (some cataracts, slightly diminished hearing, normal old age stuff). It makes me very sad to think we might not have her around for much longer.
  • I'd show you the latest picture I took of Jolie but my fabulous camera does NOT like to communicate with my antique laptop. She communicates just fine with our sleek, shiny new desktop which runs Windows7 but will not give me a peak into her files even though my laptop graciously acknowledges her presence. I guess it's below her lofty station to communicate with a computer that only runs XP.
  • To those of you who took the time to read my first public foray into fiction, The Dying of the Light, I humbly apologize for leaving you hanging this long. When Marty traveled into the land of the Never-ending Migraine, my writing mojo disappeared. I am working on the next installment and will try to have it to you soon.
  • I conquered the scanning issues for the book project I am working on. Please don't ask how...it was a painful battle but will be well worth the effort.
  • Since Marty is healthy (YAY) again,  he and I finally made it to the theater to see The Hunger Games and I LOVED it. What an incredible adaptation.
  • I think I finally figured out how to make my proposed design company (co-run with my sister by choice Rys) work in a simple enough manner that I can shoehorn it into my already full schedule...maybe.
  • I've been feeling some serious pangs of baby lust but, given our repeat journey into the Land of IF, there is no chance I can do anything about it anytime soon. This makes me more than a little ticked off with the universe.
  • Any more pithy. random observations will have to wait. Sleep is beckoning and, if I don't give in, I think sleep will bash me over the head with a frying pan.
What random things are going on in your life? Dish it, sister (or brother). I want the dirt.