"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Sunday, August 14, 2011

(Almost) 25 and counting

Did you know that next year is my 25th high school reunion? I know...it shocks the shit out of me too. When I think of myself, I don't think of someone who has been out of high school nearly a quarter of a century (is it just me or does that sound even worse?). I simply don't feel that old. I know my body isn't nearly as skinny as it once was and I know I have a 14 yr old going  into the 9th grade. What I can't figure out is how that many years have passed.

It's a funny thing though. Being 41 and rapidly approaching 42 doesn't bother me. I am comfortable in my own skin. I'm more confident. I'm more secure. I really like the person I've become and I love the people I've surrounded myself with. Sure, if I could reclaim my high school (or college) body tomorrow, I would. But, I wouldn't go back to being younger (even when I wonder how I got to be old enough to be the one in charge). My teenage years were filled with the typical angst and insecurity and I don't want that feeling back.
  • Then: I would have been to scared about what people would think and say to do something really unique with my hair or body.
  • Now: I rock my purple hair and love it.
  • Then: I felt a desperation to belong.
  • Now: I am secure in who I am. I embrace my idiosyncrasies and eccentricities.Fuck anyone who doesn't like it.
  • Then: I had truly deluded notions of what would make me happy in life.
  • Now: I know how little it takes to truly make me happy.
  • Then: I'd look at the Duke Basketball players and think "OMG, they are so hot."
  • Now: I look at them and think "Boy, they'll look really good when they grow up."
So, share it y'all. How many years since you graduated from high school? Does being older bother you? How have you changed?

    6 comments:

    CreoleInDC said...

    How many years since you graduated from high school?

    Next year is 25 for me too!

    Does being older bother you?

    Nope. I'm having the time of my life!

    How have you changed?

    I do what I want. I don't let anyone tell me no if it is a reasonable request and I very rarely make unreasonable requests. I find joy in the simplest things whereas I thought I'd need so much more to be happy. I'm HAPPY.

    Mrs. Gamgee said...

    Next year is my 20th high school reunion. I'm not going. Not because I'm bummed about being older, but simply because I didn't really hang out with anyone in my grad class.

    Being older only bothers me in one way. That incessant tick of my biological clock. Other than that, being middle aged *gasp!* is pretty good.

    I'm much more confident in who I am compared to who I was when I was 17. I'm comfortable in my own skin, and while I would love to be as thin as I was back then (and I was convinced I was fat back then), I wouldn't go through all that again for any amount of money. I'm content as I am.

    Shelly- Mom Files said...

    It has been 20 years for me and I have LOVED getting older. I have gotten so much better in so many ways and you look back at those days and wonder why the hell you cared so much about all the little things that ended up not even matter in the whole grand scheme of things. Sorry for that long-ass sentence :)

    Anonymous said...

    I'm 41 too, but we had Grade 13 here so it's 24 years for me next year.

    Ageing in general has bothered me, but that's more of a biological clock thing.

    Well, I stopped drinking for one *g*, I'm thinking I've slowed down a lot, and I probably spend more time thinking before I act now.

    Lauren said...

    Next year will be my 10-year reunion and I don't plan on going. 10 years later I feel absolutely no ties to my high school class. I only went there for two years before graduating since I moved so much, and I don't keep in touch with people from my class (my husband graduated 2 years after me and most of our friend are from his year).

    I don't feel old, but I do feel crappy because at 27 everyone is having babies and I am obviously not.

    I think my core being is still the same as in high school. I've matured, my priorities have shifted, and I'm a little more sane, but I am still the same person with the same reactions to things (I'm very expressive and emotive) and likes/dislikes and interests and hobbies. I like being Lauren.

    Alison said...

    I graduated 18 years ago!

    I too am comfortable with myself. Aging has never bothered me, I've never tried to hide my age or look younger than I am.

    I'm smarter and wiser. Less naive. More mellow. Less of a fiery temper. Nicer. :)