"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Strawberry Crumb Cake

Hey y'all...feeding three semi-human male children with black holes where their stomachs should be hungry boys means cooking a lot and, since grocery prices have gone up so much, I'm making more and more from scratch. Not too long ago I saw some scrumptious looking Blueberry Crumb Cake over on Shelly's blog, Momfiles.com. Luckily, she had a link to the Blueberry Crumb Cake recipe (from The Pioneer Woman) which meant I could get baking when the urge hit. As I am wont to do, I tweaked the recipe a bit. The recipe on The Pioneer Woman says it is suitable for 9 x 13 pan but the picture with the recipe looked a little thin so I doubled the recipe and it made a 9 x 13 cake that was a decent thickness and 9 in. loaf pan too.

Strawberry Crumb Cake

Ingredients

1 stick butter
2 Tbsp (additional) butter
1½ cups sugar
2 whole egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
4½ tsps baking powder
2  tsp cinnamon I added this
½ tsp nutmeg I added this
1 tsp salt
1½ cups whole 2% milk
4 cups fresh strawberries cut into small chunks
_____
FOR THE TOPPING:
1½ sticks butter
1 cups sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt


1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Combine flour, baking powder, and a salt. Stir and set aside.
3) Cream 1 stick plus 2 tablespoon butter with cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. Add eggs and mix until combined. Add vanilla and mix. Add flour mixture and milk alternately until totally incorporated. Do not overbeat. Stir in strawberries until evenly distributed.
4) Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan and a 9 inch loaf pan. Pour in batter.
5) In a separate bowl, combine topping ingredients and cut together using two knives or a pastry cutter. Sprinkle over the top of the cake.
6) Bake cake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden brown. Sprinkle with sugar. Cut into squares and serve with softened butter. it doesn't need the extra fat or calories...it's amazing as is.

*Notes...Use fresh fruit in this. Frozen fruit will still add an amazing flavor but will not stand up well to baking. All strike outs are things I omitted or changed. All other changes or additions are noted in the recipe.

2 comments:

Alana said...

Holy crap....this looks AMAZINGLY delicious! :)

Shelly- Mom Files said...

Ooh! I am so happy you got to make use of all the extra strawberries you had. I think my next time making it I will use 2% milk like you did. I don't see how it would be any different. I also omitted the sugar sprinkling and softened butter as you did. Sweet and yummy as is!