"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Update on Lola...

I just got off the phone with Wiseguy. I passed on all the prayers and positive thoughts to her and she is extremely thankful for them. She's holding up pretty well but I could hear the tears in her voice a couple of times. I didn't get all the details about why they delivered early (it might have had to do with Wiseguy's blood pressure...she had some issues with that early on I think) but I did get a Lola update.

Wiseguy said that Lola was born strong and apparently healthy (HUGE PLUS) but then developed problems. It turns out the Miss Lola had a small hole in her heart (likely a *Patent Ductus Arteriosus...very common in premature babies) and that caused problems with pulmonary hypertension. The doctors feel that given how healthy Lola was at birth, she stands a very high likelihood of being ok. Lola is on a ventilator. If Lola's hole is a PDA, this is common treatment because this assists breathing and allows the baby to grow and hopefully allows the PDA to resolve itself.

Since I called poor Wiseguy out of the blue, I didn't keep her on the phone too long and didn't get too many details. I am guessing that the diagnosis is a PDA but it could be some other variety of problem (PDA is most likely). As I told Wiseguy, prognosis is often good when these babies are born healthy. Please, please keep Wiseguy and Lola in your prayers. Since she is having trouble with her internet access/blog update, I am going to stay in touch with her and get you updates in as timely a manner as possible.

*Wikipedia actually has a very good page on Patent Ductus Arteriosus if you want to educate yourself about it.

7 comments:

Stacie said...

Thanks for this update. Hugs.

AnotherDreamer said...

Thank you so much for the update!

Keeping them in my thoughts.

battynurse said...

Keeping them both in my thoughts that Lola will soon be off the vent and doing great. Thanks for the update.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer and Will's sister, Korrie was born w/a hole in her heart. She is 10 now and still has some problems, but all is good. Don't know this person, but prayers are sent.

Kakunaa said...

Thank you for the update Kristin...I am so so worried about her! I hope it is an easy fix and that Lola gains her strength back quickly. HUGS to them both from me when you talk to her next.

MrsSpock said...

Thanks for the update! I hope they can resolve the heart issue- sending good thoughts...

Dora said...

Thanks for the update! You are such a treasure to this community! Mwah!