"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Saturday, September 04, 2010

It makes me cry

I was reading Kristin's most recent post on her blog, Once A Mother, when a certain song came on her playlist. It was "Somewhere Over The Rainbow/Wonderful World" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.

I immediately felt tears starting to come. This got me started thinking about songs that really seem to touch an emotional cord in me. I think this is such a pure and beautiful version of this song but it will always make me cry because the very first time I heard it was back on the TV show ER when the character Dr. Mark Greene died. I sat and bawled (so sue me, tv shows can make me cry) during the entire scene.

The other song that always makes me cry does so for a much more personal reason. Hearing Amazing Grace on the bagpipes always, always makes me cry.

I think know the reason this triggers the waterworks is because it is so closely associated with funerals for firefighters. From the time I met my husband up until early Sept '01, he was a career firefighter and I always feared I would lose him in the line of duty. I can't hear Amazing Grace played on the bagpipes without reliving some of these fears.

What songs trigger strong responses from you and why? I'd love to hear about it.

4 comments:

battynurse said...

Ooooh, I love that version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" I actually went and bought the CD with it on there at one point after hearing it on that episode of ER (to which I cried too).
One song that almost always makes me feel happy and bouncy is "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" by Starship. One that almost always makes me cry is "The Circle of Life" by Elton John and "Broken" by Lindsey Hahn. Another that usually gets to me is "Why I'm Here" by Kenny Chesney.

Lynn said...

There are so many songs that make me tear up and get emotional...I couldn't possibly list them all! Anything to do with babies or family, patriotic songs, songs about time moving forward, losing someone.....like I said too many to mention.

There are also lots that make me happy...they tend to be dance tunes....I'm a sucker for Eurodance stuff :D

Kakunaa said...

I did a post on this recently!!! LOL. Read my post tomorrow...used the same damn song by IZ, and I feel exactly the same way about amazing grace. God, it gives me the shivers.

Barb said...

Me too!! (The ER thing.) I cry EVERY TIME i hear that song.

What a Wonderful World... have no idea why. A combo of the sounds and words I think.

And The Circle of Life in the movie the Lion King... the beginning of the movie. I almost cried! I don't know why either. Maybe because I work with animals partly?