"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happy 40th Anniversary Sesame Street

I can truly say I grew up right alongside Sesame Street. It was born on November 10th, 1969 and I made my entrance less than a month later. My mom said one of my first words was cookie thanks to the influence of that great big blue cookie monster. I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Sesame Street.

GMA did a great birthday party for Sesame Street yesterday and you should take a minute to watch this interview with Carl Spinney, the man behind both Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch.

I told you about my all time favorite Sesame Street sketch (the one with Robin Williams and the shoes) a while back. Today, I want to share a few of my old time classic favorites...
Rubber Ducky

and C is for Cookie

When the new season debuts today, none other than Mrs. Obama will be helping them celebrate. I hope you take a moment to join them. I have my Tivo primed and ready to record.

Share some of your Sesame Street memories with us. You can find all the YouTube videos here.

5 comments:

GeekByMarriage said...

I owe my rubber ducky fetish to Ernie. Quack! Wow! Mrs. Obama on SS. How awesome must that be?!

netightman said...

Happy birthday, Sesame Street!

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Oh so many happy Sesame Street memories... there are so many that I may need to post about it myself.

Johnny Cash singing 'Five Feet High and Rising', the counting pinball song, when no one believed that Snuffleupagus was a real guy, Bert's bottle cap collection...

And even some sad memories too... like when Mr. Hooper died.

Such a huge part of my childhood!

Quiet Dreams said...

I *heart* sunny days that chase the clouds away.

Thanks for this--made my night.

*Tanyetta* said...

My all time favorite Sesame Street memory is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jdP7HUPbVs

loaf of bread container of milk stick of butter