"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Monday, October 26, 2009

Random October

We’re official! Woohooooo! As y’all know, I went camping with Joey this weekend (more on that later). When I got home on Saturday, I got the shock of my life when I opened the mailbox. Our official homeschooling card was waiting for us. I put my paperwork in the mail on Thursday. Our mail doesn’t get picked up until after 3 in the afternoon. Despite all that, I had my card in hand on Saturday. Holy smokes Batman. Occasionally, the wheels of government don’t get bogged down in red tape.

I ordered all our books last night. 5 books - science, math, social studies, literature, and writing - cost just over $200. Thank God for used books because buying just the literature book new would have cost over $100. Until the books get in, we are reviewing things he is suppose to have learned all ready. Sadly, I’ve already had to reteach converting fractions to decimals. He knew the basic process but was shaky on execution...and, this is a child who had an A average.
***************************************
Joey and I had a blast camping but we did come back one night early. Friday night the wind was whipping through the trees. It was blowing so hard that if you closed your eyes, it sounded like you were listening to the waves crashing against the shore. And, then it started raining. It rained almost all day Saturday. We were soaked. There was a little bit of water in the tent (just around the edges). And, there was a good chance of a bad thunderstorm on Saturday night. The last straw for Joey was when his second set of shoes became thoroughly soaked.

I have also come to the conclusion that I need to buy an air mattress for camping. The years I spent doing EMS and the years I spent training horses did a number on me and made my back rather intolerant of nights on super hard surfaces. Does that mean I’m getting old?
***************************************
I may just have to attempt to write a poem. I have some rather evocative phrases that keep running through my head. I may even share it with y’all if you promise not to laugh. You can tell me it sucks...just don’t laugh.
***************************************
The boys and I carved pumpkins last night. Joey picked a somewhat traditional but cool looking face. Gabe wanted us to make a puking pumpkin. And, Marty, oh the face he designed for his pumpkin was specifically designed to evoke a WTF reaction.

BTW, if you carve your pumpkins early, coat the cut edges with petroleum jelly and they won’t shrivel.
***************************************
My new modem is coming in today! I will have both internet access and phone at the same time again...yay!
***************************************
So, what’s going on with y’all?

5 comments:

Shelly- Mom Files said...

girl, looks like things are coming right along in the Cruz household. So glad to hear it!! I have been trying to take care of my house better and stay the hell off facebook and twitter more so I can get more crap done. I became a full-blown addict and I am trying to get my life back. Otherwise things are pretty peachy in these parts :-)
BTW, Dwayne and I were just talking about your earlier today! He will be glad to know everything is coming along well for y'all.

battynurse said...

Glad the home schooling stuff is coming through so quickly. I hope it goes well.

MrsSpock said...

A puking pumpkin? Are we posting pictures of this?

Flying Monkeys said...

I hope homeschooling goes well.

I'd like to see the pumpkins and thank you for the no shrivel tip.

*Tanyetta* said...

Kristin! I loved your randoms! I feel like I'm all caught up. How exciting about homeschooling. That's what I'm talking about!!!

Wait, a puking pumpkin? I need to see a photo of that. He is too funny. I would like to see your poem too.

Things over here are buzzing as usual. DJ turned 5 recently and Miss Gracen rolls everywhere. She's not crawling, she just rolls to where she wants to go. LOL