"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Content, celebratory, and devastated

At first glance, these seem to be the most unlikely trio of words. Surely no one could feel all those things at once. These three words came up when I read Mel's Pick A Card post last night. She asked readers to pick three words to describe how you are feeling right now. Those three words, content, celebratory, and devastated, were my three words.

Content - I am content because my family is doing well. The kids had a wonderful day with friends. I got to hang out with my *sbc Jennifer. Hubby is (hopefully) on the mend from a persistent lung infection. I've been crafting and reading and playing with kids. Life is good.

Celebratory - 5 years blogging. That's one hell of a good reason to celebrate.

Devastated - My dear friend Velda, the one recently diagnosed with cancer, has been told it is terminal. The doctors say they can extend her life and give her more time but they say they can't cure it. It just isn't fair. Velda is such a lovely, caring, generous, beautiful person and it kills me that this is happening to her. I first met Velda when she was a community leader on the cross stitch board on ParentsPlace.com (part of iVillage). Velda's love, and enthusiasm , and generosity brought together one of the most incredible group of women I have ever known. These women have been together for going on 9+ years now. We've supported each other through good times and bad...pregnancy, marriage, divorce, miscarriage, and illness. Without Velda pulling together this group in the beginning, we never would have had this blessing in our lives. Velda, my stitching sister, my long distance friend, I love you and want you to know how much you mean to me. Thank you for being a part of my life and I am hoping and praying for a miracle so you can be a part of it for a long, long time in the future.


*sbc = sister by choice

15 comments:

battynurse said...

I'm so so sorry about Velda. I'm reminded every day how much I truly hate cancer. It's so indiscriminate in who it takes. My thoughts are with her and her family and with you.

Quiet Dreams said...

I'm so sorry, Kristin. So very, very sorry.

Bean said...

I'm so sorry Kristen - for you, and for Velda and her family. I've known of her through you for just as many years, and I know how much her friendship means to you (((hug)))

Beautiful Mess said...

I'm sending you, Velda, her friends and family so many positive thoughts. I'll also be praying for a miracle. I'm so sorry, love.
*HUGS*

Jaymee said...

so sorry kristen, i will be keeping velda and all who lover her in my thoughts.

super happy 5 years!! that is an amazing accomplishment!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I was wondering about the devastated. I'm so sorry, sweetie.

Anonymous said...

Kristin,
{{{HUGS}}}. I met all of you great stitching ladies on ivillage. I am so glad I did. It was one of the best things that has happened to me.

Velda is strong. She is loved by many. I keep her and the family in my thoughts and prayers everyday.

Congratulations on your blogaversay. Glad your family is doing well and I hope your husband continues to get well. I will say some prayers for him.

{{{HUGS}}} my friend...

Stacie said...

Oh Kristin. I am so sorry to hear about your friend's illness. I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs.

Billy said...

So sorry about Velda.

Velda said...

I love you Kristin. Don't be sad for me honey. It's okay. It's for a reason. I just don't know what reason yet.

Thanks to Kristin's friends for all their kind words

Kathy C said...

Please, please, please have her see a palliative care doctor. Their focus is not so much on cure but on managing symptoms, pain and adding quality to the time that is left. I am a palliative care nurse and we often do palliative radiation. Doesn't cure the cancer but usually shrinks it and thus reduces the pain and other symptoms.
If you need more info, or I can be of some assistance from a distance, feel free to email.
Kathy

Carrie27 said...

Many prayers for your friend and her family and friends during this difficult time.

AnotherDreamer said...

I'm sorry about your friend :( I will be thinking of you all.

JuliaS said...

I am very sorry about your friend Velda. Keeping you both in my best wishes and prayers.

Glad to hear dh is on the mend.

elizabeth said...

So sorry to hear about your friend's diagnosis. It's so tough. Hugs...